I Am Computer Illiterate And Could Use Some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fudgenelly

...... i see things here that look and sound like the problems I am having rebooting windows. I was hoping that some kind soul would add me to their msn messenger list and guide me. I can be online with this computer and work on the computer needing help.

Any help is appreciated. If you read this and can help you can add me to your msn messenger with this email... . I'll be waiting for you!

I realize you are not here to be my unpaid tech support. And, I do not have much to offer in the realm of computer technology. I thank you in advance and will offer help to this site in any way I can.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Sheeder

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Can you tell us what the problem is you`re having?

What exactly happens when you try to boot your computer? What OS are you running?

As much background info as possible, will help us to help you.

It`s not a good idea to display your e-mail on a public website. May I suggest you edit your post, and remove it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thank you

Yes, I will edit that... desperation can do strange things can't it?

I am currently inserting the xp cd....

1. blue screen says "windows setup" (it makes some noise and files flash across the bottom of the screen for quite some time)
2. bottom says "setup is starting windows" then i have a choice
press enter to set up windows xp
press r to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console
press f3 to quit setup without installing windows xp
I choose..... enter to set up windows xp

3. My message says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or set up program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press f3.
I choose f3..... and await your reply to my cry for help... THANK YOU!

Mrs. Sheeder

Spke is asking what type of hard drive you have. I.E, is it an IDE drive, or a Sata drive? Can you give us you full system specs?

If it is a sata drive, then you need to install the sata drivers from a floppy disk by pressing the F6 key during Windows set up.

Regards Howard :)

I dont know how to tell

And, now i cant' even get to a dos prompt to run the bootable disk someone helped me make.... UGH

Ok, don`t panic.

If you don`t know anything about computers, and lets face it, not everyone does, that`s ok.

May I suggest that you either get a friend who knows about computers to help you, or take your computer to your local pc repair shop, and have them look at it for you.

It`s probably something simple, but could also be a hardware problem that requires diagnosing.

Regards Howard :)

Hopefully, if this is a shop-bought system, you'll have the specs in its documentation, along with a SATA/hard drive driver disk if it's using sata..

Otherwise, unless there's a valid warranty sticker on it, take off the side of the case, look at the top of the hard drive, and write downthe make and model number to post here and tell us. If in doubt, write everything down.

This of course assumes that you havn't yet made a SATA driver floppy disk?

edit If it's possible, Howards advice may be better :D

now you're scaring me

I don't think i'm going to dismantle anything....LOL

I'm going to ask the tech guy at work if he'll look at it for me. If he won't then i have to decide if i want to send it back for a refund (which will cost me $40 and I'll have nothing) or if I want to pay to have it fixed at a repair shop. On that note I hate to have a bill there just to find out it's DOA. I'd almost rather send it back and be out the $40.

You all have been so nice to me. I can't thank you enough! My last lead on my own is to delete the platform and load a new one but i can't remember how to get there again...

Fudgey

I CAN"T STOP

i'm infatuated with this crap.....

i need to create a partition.... any ideas how to do this when i don't have a diskette only a cd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back