I am unable to restore my background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankushg

I am facing the same problem....need help

Hi All
I am also facing exactly the same problem since yesterday. I am unable to restore back my background. Any help on this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards
Ankush

I have moved your post to it`s own thread.

Let`s check to make sure your system isn`t infected with anything nasty.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment and I`ll advise.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of ankushg only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

HJT log file

I have attached my HJT log file. Let me know if you need anything else. I will really appreciate your opinion about this problem.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Ankush

I see you have some Symantec Antivirus, probably Norton. You should remove it, as it is a resource hog.
You'd be better with AVG Free edition, especially the newest 7.5 version.

Maybe you'll problem will be solved, and your PC should be faster without that crap.

Regards :wave:

But how does Symantec Antivirus is creating this problem? I guess it is just another antivirus software and should not be harmful. How does changing the antivirus program solve this problem?

Regards
Ankush

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

MyWaySA

Close control panel.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4D25F921-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll

O2 - BHO: File Print FedEx Kinko's - {9566395F-43D2-4c64-B525-B501FFA276E2} - mscoree.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: File Print FedEx Kinko's - {9566395f-43d2-4c64-b525-b501ffa276e2} - mscoree.dll (file missing)

O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Other than the above, your HJT log is clean.

Right click on an empty space on your desktop and selcy properties. Click the desktop tab, followed by the customize desktop button. Click the web tab and uncheck any webpages, also remove them. Make sure to uncheck lock desktop. Click ok/apply/ok. Right click your desktop again and click the desktop tab again, see if you can now change the wallpaper.

This thread is for the use of ankushg only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi Howard
Thanks for a detailed reply. I have done everything that you suggested but unfortunately the problem still persists. I have removed MyWaySA from my programs and did the fixes using HJT. However I could not find these 2 programs in HJT scan this time:

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4D25F921-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll

Rest three I have fixed. I even restarted my computer after doing this but still I am unable to change my background :((

I have attached the latest HJT logfile for your reference. Thanks a lot for all your help. I really appreciate that. Please suggest if you see anything in this HJT file.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Ankush

Your HJT log is clean. However, something`s not quite right.

I think you probably need to go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG antispyware logs as attachments, only after doing the above.

ankushg said:
But how does Symantec Antivirus is creating this problem? I guess it is just another antivirus software and should not be harmful. How does changing the antivirus program solve this problem?

Regards
Ankush

I said that it MIGHT be the cause of your issue. Even if its not causing problems, it's a pretty bad "antivirus".
Check this thread HERE.

Regards :wave:

Hi Howard
I already have symantec antivirus and a firewall installed in my computer. So while installing AVG antivirus, do I first uninstall these 2 things or just leave them as it is? I think I will take some time to do all the steps that are there in the link you sent me.......so will get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks.

Regards
Ankush

Personally, I recommend getting rid of Symantec/Norton as it`s a real reource hog and it`s not very good at killing viruses either. It can also casue several system problems. Obviously this is completely up to you.

Download the AVG or Avast antivirus programme and either the Zonalarm or Kerio firewall programmes.

Disconnect from the net and uninstall Symantec/Norton. If you have any problems with the uninstallation, see this thread HERE.

Once Symantec/Norton is completely uninstalled, reboot your system and install whichever firewall you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times and reconnect to the net. Run the antivirus updates and proceed with the instructions.

Hi Howard
Sorry for getting back to you a bit late....I was very busy in the last week. I did all the steps that you told me to do and the good news is that I am able to restore my background. Everything is working fine at the moment and I am able to see my wallpaper too :))) I am really really thankful to you for guiding me through this as I think it was a really serious virus. However, there are few things that I don't understand and wanted to discuss with you:

1) You said that AVG antispyware shield should be inactive.....it make more sense to me to keep it active. In fact antispyware also gives a warning if it is inactive.

2) The links that you specified for Ad-Aware Personal SE and Tool4 are not working. So I am still not able to download and run them.

3) When I scanned my system using AVG antispyware, it showed my 7 traces. Then I clicked the "Recommended Action" and changed it to "Quarantine". But I couldn't find the "Apply all actions" button as you had specified. Can you give me some pointers on that and also I am not sure whether the antispyware has removed those traces or not. Is there any way I can check that?

In the end, thanks a lot once again for all your help and support. I really appreciate that.

Regards
Ankush

I have checked the links for tool4 and Ad-Aware se personal and they are both working fine.

As for AVG Antispyware, the reason I say disable the backgound guard is to save system resources. If you want to have the backgound guard active, then by all means do so.

Below is the instructiosn for dealing with the results of a scan, taken from the AVG Antispyware Help file.

When the scan is complete, all detected malware will be listed on the left-hand of the Scan dialog. After right-clicking on the Action of the desired item in the list, a context menu will appear displaying the optional actions available. Select the action Quarantine.

Once you have set the required action for each item in the list, press the Apply all actions button.

I suggest you post a fresh HJT log as well as an AVG Antispyware log.

Hi Howard
I have attached the reports of my HJT scan and AVG antispyware scans. These are the most recent ones.

Also, the reason why I am unable to open the links for Ad-Aware Personal SE and Tool4 is because my Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) is blocking those sites. Can you suggest me what should I do for that?

Let me know if you find anything suspicious in my log files. Thanks.

Regards
Ankush

Your HJT log is clean.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

If Kerio is blocking those sites, read the Kerio help file for instructions on how to allow certain sites etc. Other than that, temporarily disable Kerio, just until you`ve downloaded too4 and Ad-Aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back