I can only upload FTP files that are 1KB or less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
This problem cracks me up. :haha:

The issue...
I can only upload FTP files that are 1KB or less.

The cause... I think...
I'm pretty sure this is because of a worm I removed from my computer (sqldbmanager.exe, worm.sdbot.sv), because I didn't notice this symptom until after I treated this. I 'repaired' all the damage done by this worm according to the virus encyclopedias I've found by reverting registry/system settings and deleting/fixing appropriate files. I noticed that this worm utilizes FTP to compromise and distribute information on host and client computers. So maybe this is tied together somehow.

The details...
This happens with multiple FTP servers and only on this computer. I can connect, change permissions via FTP, create folders and upload files smaller than 1KB. I can download the largest of files with no issues... BIN and ASCII modes work properly and while I usually use Passive mode, I've tried Port mode with no success. I tried directly through the modem as well as through the router without any luck. However, it works perfectly on my laptop using the same software and similar Windows setup.

Here's a snippet from my SmartFTP log.
[22:25:37] PASV
[22:25:37] 227 Entering Passive Mode (67,18,214,xxx,188,241)
[22:25:37] Opening data connection to 67.18.214.xxx Port: 48369
[22:25:37] STOR book.gif
[22:25:38] 150 Accepted data connection
[22:25:38] 4693 bytes transferred. (36.6 KB/s) (125 ms)
[22:26:18] Timeout (40s).
[22:26:18] Active Help: http://www.smartftp.com/support/kb/index.php/74
[22:26:18] Client closed the connection.
[22:26:18] Transfer failed.

System:
Windows XP SP2 + latest updates
FTP clients: SmartFTP, LeechFTP, FTP.exe (XP cmd client), IE integrated FTP function
Firewalls and other network-altering utilities uninstalled.

Additional stuff... (Updating this as the thread progresses)
  • Repaired my Winsock via the netsh winsock reset command.
  • Repaired my Winsock via LSP & Winsock Repair programs
  • sfc /scannow performed and passed
  • PASSIVE and Direct PORT modes - no difference
  • BIN & ASCII files using BIN & ASCII modes with different files - no difference
  • No log entries in eventvwr.msc
  • Reinstalled XP Networking Components (Add/Remove Components)
  • Replaced C:\Windows\System32\wininet.dll with an older copy from SP2.

It's a weird problem and I'm stumped... I'll format if there's no answers - no big deal - but I like to find solutions. I'm hoping someone here understands more about Windows and FTPing than I do and might be able to come up with some possible reasons for this. :)

Hi Rick.

I don`t know if it`ll help any, but if you want to post a HJT log, I`ll gladly take a look and see if there`s anything that shouldn`t be there.

Regards Howard :)

Your HJT log is as clean as a whistle.

It seems you`re not running any antivirus or firewall software, but I guess you already know that lol.

Whatever you problem is caused by, it appears it`s not a current malware problem, or at least none that show up in your HJT log.

All I can think, is it`s probably due to some damaged files caused by the worm you removed. Other than that, I have no ideas mate.

howard_hopkinso said:
Your HJT log is as clean as a whistle.
It seems you`re not running any antivirus or firewall software, but I guess you already know that lol.

I actually uninstalled my virus scanner, network analyzer(s) etc.. while troubleshooting this issue. I don't run a software firewall on this 'workstation', but I did have one installed that I wasn't using. I uninstalled that one too. I haven't bothered to put any of it back on yet though. :)

All I can think, is it`s probably due to some damaged files caused by the worm you removed.
That's my idea too. I just wish I knew where to look. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling SP2. I haven't tried to repair Windows, but I might give that a shot just to see if it works or not.

I haven't tried to repair Windows, but I might give that a shot just to see if it works or not.

Seeing as you wrote the instructions for how to repair Windows, that might not be a bad idea :p

I suppose you could try running the sfc /scannow command.

howard_hopkinso said:
Seeing as you wrote the instructions for how to repair Windows, that might not be a bad idea :p
I suppose you could try running the sfc /scannow command.

I used SFC also while troubleshooting, no dice. :(

howard_hopkinso said:
All I can think, is it`s probably due to some damaged files caused by the worm you removed.
Maybe the worm did more registry changes than Trendmicro says. I didn't find any particular FTP settings from the registry though.

Rick said:
That's my idea too. I just wish I knew where to look.
msieftp.dll , from there with Dependency Walker. But I don't know if that helps as you've already scanned things with SFC.

Does this happen with HTML form submits too (or with PHP) ?

connect to the destination site and then issue
passive

it will cause the data transmission to occur from a private port rather
than the default port 20.

the other thing to try is to issue
bin
before the put, just to make sure that the file does NOT contain
an embedded EOF (^Z)

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Maybe the worm did more registry changes than Trendmicro says. I didn't find any particular FTP settings from the registry though.
I agree. The changes listed were correct, and I did 'reverse' them... But there may be others. :giddy:

Does this happen with HTML form submits too (or with PHP) ?
I'm able to upload to this board (for example) and I can use email attachment upload forms etc... I can also upload any file that's less than 1kb in size on any FTP server I have access to, which is interesting. :) Direct FTP access via IE appears to have the same issue with uploads.

msieftp.dll , from there with Dependency Walker. But I don't know if that helps as you've already scanned things with SFC.
That's a very cool program. I checked out msieftp.dll with it and it gives me the following message:
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.
MSJAVA.DLL is missing and MPR.DLL appears to have a problem. I will investigate this.

connect to the destination site and then issue passive it will cause the data transmission to occur from a private port rather
than the default port 20.
Unforutnately, it still happens despite using passive of port 20. A random port such as 36934 still has the same issue.
the other thing to try is to issue bin before the put, just to make sure that the file does NOT contain an embedded EOF (^Z)
This doesn't appear to make a difference either, interestingly enough. :)

Have you only tried using your current program (smartftp) or have you tried XP's native FTP support also?

Does another well known program (such as cuteftp) work ok? Obviously, I'm just thinking about narrowing it down to either a windows fault or an application fault. My apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but you neverr know what's been tried. The other thing of course, is the question of whether there are any related entries in the application log of event viewer?

Spike said:
Have you only tried using your current program (smartftp) or have you tried XP's native FTP support also?

Does another well known program (such as cuteftp) work ok? Obviously, I'm just thinking about narrowing it down to either a windows fault or an application fault. My apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here, but you neverr know what's been tried. The other thing of course, is the question of whether there are any related entries in the application log of event viewer?

No eventvwr log entries. :(

SmartFTP (2 versions), FTP.exe, LeechFTP and Internet Explorer's integrated FTP all exhibit the same issue - no files larger than 1kb can be uploaded. This includes BIN and ASCII modes for BIN and ASCII files, multiple files and multiple file types. Weird!
My apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here
:giddy: Don't worry about it. :giddy:

Don't do anything rash yet. For some reason I think I remember a problem like this before, but not how to fix it :(. Google searching shows others have had this problem too, but so far I haven't found a solution.

Ok, thought of this.. Perhaps its essentially already been done during the above steps in some form. But go to Add/Remove Windows Components and then uncheck network services. Probably rebooting after doing that is a good idea, and then go back and check it, so it reinstalls that - obviously going to need the XP cd to do this.

SNGX1275 said:
But go to Add/Remove Windows Components and then uncheck network services. Probably rebooting after doing that is a good idea, and then go back and check it, so it reinstalls that - obviously going to need the XP cd to do this.
Thanks for the idea. I gave it a shot and no positive results. Good suggestion though, as I hadn't done this yet.

It got me thinking about some things so I started following some leads on the net, I replaced my slightly newer copy of C:\Windows\System32\wininet.dll with a fresh, older one from SP2. This did not work.

My copy of Vista Beta looks awfully tempting! ;)

I'm afraid not. :(

I don't like to give up when it comes to computer problems, but I did give up on this one. I tried a direct connection to the Internet and two different wireless connections. Replacing various files and even a system repair. I uninstalled any and all network utilities and searched tirelessly online... nada.

A fresh install sure fixed it though. ;)

fyi followup on MSJAVA.DLL

Back on 8-21-2006 you mentioned MSJAVA.DLL

This is the MS JVM which had litigation results and was withdrawn as MS
modified the Sunmicro version and violated the terms of the license.
It is way, way down level and should not exist on XP/*.

There are two missing DLLs that frequently show-up
EFSADU.DLL file system encryption
MSJAVA.DLL MS JVM​
and that is how it should be.

EFSADU.DLL is XP/Pro only and the XP/Home should not have one

A missing DLL is not always fatal -- the fact that a specific DLL is present or
missing
has meaning to the software, eg: feature xyz is or isnot installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back