I cannot get past the welcom screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroboy

Having trouble deleting a virus I was told to do this; update Norton anti-viris, turn off systems restore, restart in safe-mode, run anti-virus and delete any visuis i find with the same name.All is OK untill I get to the Welcom screen, I click Addministrator. it says Loading your personal settings, The screen flicks then it says Logging off. I have tryed clicking on another account and the same thing happens. I can still turn off then restart in normal mode and it does the same things. I cannot get past the welcom screen,and I cannot find my recovery disks that came with this machine. Can anyone please help.

boroboy said:
and I cannot find my recovery disks that came with this machine.

They may be required for this
Either can you search for the Windows (or recovery) CD / DVD harder.
Or is it possible that you have a Startup prompt for system restore ?
Some computers do not come with any Windows CD, but actually have a recovery partition on the harddrive.

This will be important to you.
Dell will send you one new set of recovery discs, if you call them with your Service Tag and mailing address. Just give them a call. The cost is under $30 including shipping.
If you don't need them now, you will need them sometime.

This is from the Owner's Manual of Dell Dimension 3100:

Using Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec

Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system. PC Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer.
Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC
Restore.

NOTICE: Using PC Restore permanently deletes all data on
the hard drive and removes any applications
or drivers installed after you received your computer.
If possible, back up the data before using PC Restore.

To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer and watch the keyboard status lights.
2 Immediately upon seeing the lights flash, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then
restart the computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.
3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back