I can't open control panel or My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I hit mycomputer and I can't open it. I can't open my network connections, control panel or windows explorer.

I can use my other programs so I ran symantec antivirus, ad-aware, Hi Jack This, Panda online antivirus and crap cleaner. All they found were cookies. I use a firewall and try not to download too much **** unless I know who its coming from etc.

Turning off my computer one day I saw a message that said ....

Blah, blah xyz.dll blah, blah and hit ok before I wrote down the dll or read the message.

It's automatic to hit ok for me sometimes. Anyways, I tried to do a Windows XP repair from the CD, then I tried to do a Windows XP installation. No luck.

Here is my HiJack This log.

None of the above was done in Safe Mode.

Help!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    10.1 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like system corruption which has resulted from infection by a trojan or other 'nasty'. Try following the advice in the stickied topic in our Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions

Post fresh HJT, Avg Antispyware and combofix logs as attachments inot this thread, but only after doing the above.

If you start in safe mode can you open them?

Also have you tried the system file checker. Go to start/run and then type in sfc /scannow. This This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Note: Make sure you have your windows Xp disk handy.

Regards Jase :)

This thread is for the use of MrMirakL only. Please do not post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

You're currently running HJT from your desktop, please put it into a folder in your C:\program files\HiJackThis ( you'll have to create it ) and then make a shortcut to desktop, this is because some trojans can hide if it's located on Desktop ;)

Thanks

I did a scan with the XP disk and no luck. I reinstalled XP over my current installation. Once I did the XP updates and rebooted it started up fine. No problems.

I ran crap cleaner, uninstalled any programs I wasn't using, I ran adaware, did an online scan and everything seems fine so far. I am attaching a hijack this log (run from temp and renamed crusty).

What is the BHO IeCatch2?????????????

Thanks again

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`re running HJT from the wrong location, despite being informed about it.

Please follow the instructions below and post all the requested log files.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of MrMirakL only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

OK Howard,
Here it is. I spent the past 2 days following the preliminary removal instructions to the letter.

I hope I got them all right.

Here are logs of HJT, AVG and Combofix.

Panda Antirootkit turned out fine.

FYI, I don't really have any more issues except that I can't get to certain web sites. (ING Direct, sometimes google, others).

Your log files are clean.

Run Ccleaner as per step9 of the instructions HERE.

Go HERE, download and install the latest version of Java.

Once it`s installed, go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall all previous versions of Java, except version 6 update 3. Close Control panel.

1.) Download WinsockFix.zip. (by: Option^Explicit)
2.) UnZip WinsockFix.zip (Pay close attention to where the file is extracted to.)
3.) Run WinsockFix.exe.
4.) Click the Fix button.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of MrMirakL only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you Howard, I'm in the middle of doing this now.

I figure that after all of this ... I can defrag my drives and I'll have a brand new machine again!!!!!

Everything is New Again

Thanks Again

This thread is now closed: If you need this thread unlocking, please pm a moderator with a link to the thread.

Only the original thread starter can do this. Anyone else, will be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back