I can't seem to access my files... (slave related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I just joined here, so if somehow this is in the wrong section of the forums then I apologize. With that said, onto my question.

Just recently, my shoddy EMachines computer fried on me. The PSU went out, and then the motherboard as well. I wasn't too irked, as from what I've heard HDD's usually don't get in with the mess, so my data should be fine. The computer was also a gift, so it's not like I lost any money. Anyway, I took out my HDD, and decided to see if I could slave it and check out my files (in order to see if they were still there).

I don't know much about slave drives, but I think I got the jist of it looking around in the computer. So I hooked it up to my friend's computer, plugged the ribbon into my HDD on the 'slave' outlet, and hooked up a power wire to it. Booted up his comp, got into Window's Explorer and lo and behold, the computer recognizes it and I can even browse it... sort of. I can check out everything except for the stuff that was in my account's [Documents and Settings] folder. I thought it was maybe because I had the folder as private before, so maybe I overlooked a simple option to make it un-private. Couldn't find such an option. It's odd because I can open and view all kinds of other stuff (example: the sample pictures that are in the default Shared folder). But clicking on my folder gets me an access denied message and that's it.

So is there any way to view these files in the current set-up, or am I stuck transfering it all to another drive when I get around to buying a new computer? Sorry if this post is too long, and thanks to anyone who can help.

Oh yeah, further searching of the HDD found some little white plastic thing that was on the outlet for the HDD, with some designations under it. I figured switching the thing to 'slave' might help, but nothing.

You could also try the following in a command prompt:
Lets say your drive in question is F: (for arguments sake)

Type the following: cacls F:\*.* /c /p everyone:F

/c continues the cacls command even if access denied errors occur and /p replaces current permissions for the group in question.

You could also replace the everyone group with another if you wanted to.

This will give the everyone group full control over the entire folder structure in F:

For more help with the cacls command, reply back and I'll help further (if needed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back