I fried something trying to install a ram module, info inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok here's the scoop...

I got two new sticks of 512 ram (already had 1 512 in there), so I went to go stick them into my computer today and when I did I fired up the old beast and there was kind of a quiet pop sound then the computer went dead (There is also the possibility I'm an ***** and stuck one of the ram modules in upside down, but I'm not sure.) Now when I try to boot it (have to turn off PSU, turn it back on) the fans spin for about a second then stop, but nothing else powers up.

So obviously something got fried but I have no idea what it was... I'm thinking it's probably the motherboard but I have no idea.
Anyways here's my setup:

P4 2 GHZ Socket 478
Old Soltek motherboard (not sure of model but if its important I can probably find it)
400W Antec PSUP
512 266 DDR Ram (attempted expansion to 1536)
Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB
Audigy 2
2 HDD
2 CD Drives
1 disk drive
Modem and an Ethernet Card

Anyways... help please :/

Well a pop is never a good thing. IT seems like something is shorting out, thus causing the quick power down. I would check the capaitctors on the board. See if any are broken or oozing. If they are, take it to a local repair shop. Remove all fans they could of went bad..causing the short, (ive had it happen before) also take out the new RAM.

Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
Well a pop is never a good thing. IT seems like something is shorting out, thus causing the quick power down. I would check the capaitctors on the board. See if any are broken or oozing. If they are, take it to a local repair shop. Remove all fans they could of went bad..causing the short, (ive had it happen before) also take out the new RAM.

Sean

Capacitors all seem to be clean and I tried to unplug all the fans and still no boot...

Will the computer boot if the ram is fried? Maybe make it to bios or something?

I would take out the ram you added it and keep in the old stuff. If you have any RAM you know to be good (from anohter PC) i would try that as well. Just for kicks take out all the ram and see if it will at least stay on a bit longer. If that doesnt work....it wold point to CPU or the Mobo, both of which are hard to diagnose.

Sean

BTW-I would also remove all non vital cards-hardware to see if they are causing the failure.

I'm really thinking its the motherboard right now because I've tried to take out all the ram, video cards, processor everything (in various orders) and nothing else happens, same thing.

There are no beep code errors so I'm pretty dang sure its the mobo

Thanks for the help

sounds to me like you may have fried your mobo...

either take to repair shop or try the parts you have in another known working box

Just for some closure on this thread...

I ordered a new MOBO and Processor. They arrived yesterday and I installed them. My computer booted up fine and after doing a Windows XP Repair it works like a charm. The RAM does not seem to be harmed in any way.

I was curious to see if my processor surived (my new mobo is LGA775 so I couldn't test it), so today I called around and found a computer shop willing to test my processor for free. So I took it to them and they said it passed the POST fine and booted.

That only leaves the motherboard. So to all who said it was probably the motherboard you were right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back