I get a " failed to create direct 3d device"

Status
Not open for further replies.

angellie

when i start playing RCT3. Over at the video and sound section, they tell me everything's all right with my comp...

Is it only me that has the problem?

Sounds like a potential DirectX problem to me. For some reason it can't intialise your graphics card.

I've looked at the minimum specs for the game and your system, and the 32mb video memory just covers it, but it could be a potential driver problem.

Is this only with RCT3, and what version of directX do you have on your system? (You can find this by running dxdiag in the run command).

direct3d probs

I too have the same problem, have brand new pc ,downloaded directx version 9, cant see what is wrong, did the problem on yours get fixed?
If yes, please give details,
cheers,
Tim

Is your problemwith RCT3 or sims 2?

If yes, its because the game is only compatible with ATI radeon 7000+or Geforce5200x or some high tech 2000$+ card... U cant fix otherwise :mad:

problem is with rct3, think we need a better graphics card, altho it worked fine with the otrher two roller coaster games grrr

But RCT3 is much much more advanced 3d wise and technology wise compared to the first 2 RCT, the problem is surely with ur graphics card like i said in the last post

As I don't have this game, I can only offer advice I have searched for on the net. But this came from an RCT forum, kind of boarders on what you've already been talking about. After following the below advice, if it's still a no go, make sure you have the latest drivers for your card, and also check to see if there is a patch for your game, some games require patches right out of the box. I've seen a LOT of the same problems in some of the RCT forums, but not many solutions. Not knowing what graphics card you guys have, bear in mind that most of the newer games require a seperate graphics card, not "on board graphics" with shared memory, even on a new computer. Anyway, make sure you have the latest drivers for you graphics card, and read the advice I found below. Hope this helps some. Oh, as a last resort, you might try reinstalling the game.

This is due to your graphics card. You must ensure that your graphics card is one of the supported chipsets as detailed on the box and that it has at least 16Mb of memory.

If this is the case then it may be that some DirectX features have been disabled.

Run DxDiag.exe, by clicking on the Windows Start Button, selecting Run and entering "Dxdiag" in the open box.

Now click on the Display tab. In the centre of the screen there is a section called DirectX features. Below there, you should have Direct3D and Direct Draw 'Acceleration Enabled'. If it says 'Acceleration Disabled' click on the button called Enable. If it says No Acceleration Available, then go to Control Panel - System - Performance and make sure that 'Hardware Acceleration' is set to full. Then restart your PC and run DxDiag again and check that both Direct Draw and Direct 3D say 'Acceleration Enabled'.

Thankyou very much for your reply, yes Indeed I had to buy a new graphics card and all now ok, just found it all a bit surprising as all the previous versions of this game were working fine, thats progress I guess! To be honest even with new graphics card and running rct3 the graphics do not seem much better then rct2, cant work out what all the fuss is about, maybe they just want you to cough up more money every now and then.
Thanks anyway,
Tim

Dont suppose anyone knows how to fix the temp gauge on my volvo 940 do they?? only kidding......

I have exactly the same problem...
How much does a video card cost, which is able to play the game? Preferably the cheapest one....any links?
Thaks

Minimum 5200 GF

I dont think that 5200 is needed, i play rct 3 with gf3 ti 200 64 DDR with no problem, but i have got that Failed to create direct3D device with Onimusha 3 for PC..i dont know whats wrong but the graphic isnt so nice so it should go ok

Hardware T&L

I get the same error but I'm not about to run out and buy a new video card and here's why.

The manual clearly states that all you need is a Hardware T&L enabled video card with minimum 32MB of memory.

A Geforce TNT or higher will cover this as will any basic Radeon or really any card or chip shold in the last 5 years. This is a very low requirement. I assume the company doesn't want a false advertising law suit on their hands so this is probably an accurate statement.

Now, this does little to address the problem but for those that don't want to go out and buy a video card to fix it, you should know it shouldn't be necessary for this game according to the vendor recommended hardware specs.

I'm gonna keep trying to find a solution.

Ollie

Hello, Everybody, I am posting for the first time here.

I read all of your comments, and I did run the directx diagnostic tool, which tells me that directx is running fine. The computer that I installed RCT3 on is an older Compaq laptop, running a Radeon IGP 320M graphics card. Would anyone know if this is the cause of the failure to run RCT3? This is my son's computer, and he loves RCT. Thank you.

i tried the dxdiag tool, but when i goto run the direct3d test, i am getting errors that it encountered an error while setting the display to 640x480 with 16-bit color. i assume that this was directx, and reinstalled directx 9.0.c (or whatever the newest one besides 10 is). from what i understand, it is having difficulty setting the display to 640x480x16, and then cannot create a 3D device because of this.

i also tried to play unreal, and i got a similar display error, and the game would not continue in full screen mode. is there anything i am missing to do?

also, i have a radeon 9250 256mb, so i dont see how i should be experiencing these problems. also, i was running this game fine when i first installed, it was just a few hours after playing it that i got the error. i have not yet installed the update for it, but i will try again when the update is done.

failed derrect 3d

hello i have been having problems with derect x i play world of warcraft and it used to run fine,i got bored of the game so i uninstalled the game,well recently i decided to play it again,i installed the game and the game wont work,i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and i have tried running other games so it is not the game and it is not my pc because i used to play the game all the time,my video card is a radeon x1650,i have tried running dxdiag and running the check thing in there and it says-direct 3d 7 test failure at step 8 (creating 3d device) HRESULT=0x80004005(generic failure) please if anyone has any idea orsomething i could try im all ears because im at my wits end here and im about to throw my pc out the window (im getting a new one soon tho) but please help and thank you in advance:) if their is any info you need to know about my pc please ask and i will tell

I had this same problem. It was because of my ATI radeon graphics card. Their latest driver for download 7.2 which was released on 12/20 does not support GPU, and one of the causes for failed to create 3d object. If you do have this problem and downloaded there latest driver, downgrade to a newer one, install Directx9, and then go to Start menu, run, DXDIAG, go to the display tab, and test the Direct3d, Not draw. This should fix your problem if you have ATI Radeon.

I had this same problem. It was because of my ATI radeon graphics card. Their latest driver for download 7.2 which was released on 12/20 does not support GPU, and one of the causes for failed to create 3d object. If you do have this problem and downloaded there latest driver, downgrade to a newer one, install Directx9, and then go to Start menu, run, DXDIAG, go to the display tab, and test the Direct3d, Not draw. This should fix your problem if you have ATI Radeon.

SxEAJ said:

Edit/Delete Message

why i found Control Panel - System - but cannot find Control Panel - System -Performance and make sure that 'Hardware Acceleration' is set to full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back