i hate windows xp can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi right where to start i have formatted my hard drive because i didn't like windows xp and i wanted to put windows 2000 on,
So everything was going well till i realised that i did'n't have the drivers what where supposed to come with the comp, right i thought i will see if the supplier will send me them no luck they would only send out the ones for windows xp , he suggested that i should look on the internet for them, so i said great how do i get on the internet with no modem drivers he said "he dunno" and he asked if i had any friends with a comp connected to the internet so i said yes and i managed to get them
Right so back to the plan
i found out what drivers i needed

Ati radeon 9200 (RV280se) video card 128mb ddr with 2x Tv-out

Sound card is a Sigmatel C-major (STAC97N)

Chipset is SiS65X AGP filter and usb Patch

Great i thought not having a clue what any of them mean't but i thought i will type them in the search engine and see what comes up, to my surprise they all came up saying 2000/xp driver i thought nearly there then so i started to download them which took about 2 and half hours on my ever so fast 56k modem
i was ready to install and i tried the first one it said i needed windows NT version 5.01.2600 or later

anyway what my question is has anybody downloaded any of the drivers for windows 2000 that could possibly send me the link straight to it so that i don't have to just do trial and error with each of them

Thanks for any help craig

p.s if not should i just go and throw the pc through the shop window i bought it from and buy an Apple mac

Why not just reinstall your Windows XP.......spend a little time with it and you will understand how it works. I got very frustrated with XP when I used it the first time because I was use to ME but hey......you can't stop progress.
Why do you dislike XP so much?

Ray

re-installing XP probably wouldnt help- he'd still need all the new drivers.

as for finding the right drivers, go to the manufacturers homepage, for example www.ati.com and then follow the links to download drivers.

by the looks of it the only one you may have difficulty with is your sound card, but you should be able to download or even use a standard windows driver for that. in fact id be very suprised if there wasn't one in windows 2000 that would drive the sound card.

in answer to your ps. well its up to you, but apple's can be equally as much hassle.

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:
I'm sure we'll be able to help you find what you're looking for :)

You've got a packard-bell?

If so, please tell us, as it'll make it easier to find the drivers for your motherboard... (Or if you could tell us the name of the motherboard it'd be even better)

At least Packard-Bell is more or less the only thing I find when looking for soundcard-drivers..
But I can't seem to find any specificly for win2k, so I think you'll just have to download the XP drivers and see if they won't work... (the xp and 2k drivers are often, though not allways, interoperable so you might be lucky)

Just got here and search for drivers and sound and you should find them..

Originally posted by Craig7777
i was ready to install and i tried the first one it said i needed windows NT version 5.01.2600 or later

If you're getting this error, you've downloaded a Windows XP specific driver, which won't work in 2000.

Look, just go to the manufacturer's pages and download the drivers. I know you can find some for that Radeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back