I have 3500 dollors and want to build a computer from scratch PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys I have 3500 dollors and want to build a computer from scratch i can get more money if needed but i want to build it from scratch case to network card

Sit down first and write out for yourself what you want to use the PC for.
If for gaming (get a Playstation or Xbox, much cheaper) only the best is good enough, according to hard-core gamers.
Try AMD Athlon 64 FX-55, Nvidia 4 SLI motherboard, ATI PCI-E graphics card(s), SATA harddisks, 1-2GB memory, 550Watt powersupply from Enermax/Antec, 21" or larger LCD or CRT monitor, 16x DVD-rewriter, 16x DVD-player to mention a few.
Lian-Li case?

realblackstuff, i totally agree with your choice of the FX-55 clawhammer, and the nForce4 chipset.

but if the guys realley got 3500 bucks, i think we can do a little better than SATA, don't you? my advice is to go SCSI with a u320 interface, and a few maxtor atlas drives, maybe a lil RAID while ure at it. i'm sure he'll be pleasantly surprised with it's performance. very pleased indeed.

SCSI are slowly losing ground. A good SATA disk beats a SCSI disk.
Also, SCSI disks are still limited in size (if that's what he wants) and very expensive for what you get storage-wise, even if money is no object. And I heard that the Maxtor Atlas drives make excellent door-stoppers!

I agree with RBS on on skipping SCSI. I have a pair of u320 SCSI drives in one of my machines and it's just really not noticably faster in 99% of my time with it. My SATA drives on my other machines are just fine.

Gaming - AMD

AMD.

AMD.

Intel is overpriced crap. AMD is a winnar. I've owned nothing but AMD since 98. And if I could afford it I would own the fx, but I'll have to settle for the 3200 939.

zephead said:
realblackstuff, i totally agree with your choice of the FX-55 clawhammer, and the nForce4 chipset.

but if the guys realley got 3500 bucks, i think we can do a little better than SATA, don't you? my advice is to go SCSI with a u320 interface, and a few maxtor atlas drives, maybe a lil RAID while ure at it. i'm sure he'll be pleasantly surprised with it's performance. very pleased indeed.[/QUOTE
:) If he has this much money he should go with a couple of 74gig rapters 15000rpm.Sounds like he wants to fly ! :bounce:

Masry King said:
hi guys I have 3500 dollors and want to build a computer from scratch i can get more money if needed but i want to build it from scratch case to network card
Does that mean you have to use all that money?

I find it quite funny that every time someone asks advice on how to spend some particular amount of money, no one recommends spending less.

No matter what kind of PC you buy, its value will go down faster than objects in Jupiter's gravitational field.

I just built my 5 computer. I chose intel this time since it wasn't my gaming machine. It's 3.2 and flys. Just make sure to stay away from Presscott cores. Northwood are the best intel cores to OC. Definently get a pair of 74 raptors(Whoever said that they are 15,000 RPM is stupid, only 10,000) and a 200 GB storage since the Raptor will be your boot drive. When you buy your case, look at the brand not just looks. Antec is very good andteir PSU are dependable. Makes sure your MOBO is raid and dual channel. Get some DVD burners and cd-RW. If you want a good sound card get AudigyZ. A great graphics card it the 6800GT, which you can easily OC to ultra speeds. NVIDIA has better drivers then ATI which is important. Get a good monitor if you need it along with speakers. newegg and zipzoomfly are good cheap, notable sites to buy from, with good shipping costs and length. Don't order anything from Alienware if you were thinking about it, they take forever to get to you. Hope you have fun building it. Buy retail packages whenever you can, it is just easier having all the nuts and bolts and instructions.

P.S.- Don't spend 3500$ just because you have it.

jack22 said:
I just built my 5 computer. I chose intel this time since it wasn't my gaming machine. It's 3.2 and flys. Just make sure to stay away from Presscott cores. Northwood are the best intel cores to OC. Definently get a pair of 74 raptors(Whoever said that they are 15,000 RPM is stupid, only 10,000) and a 200 GB storage since the Raptor will be your boot drive. When you buy your case, look at the brand not just looks. Antec is very good andteir PSU are dependable. Makes sure your MOBO is raid and dual channel. Get some DVD burners and cd-RW. If you want a good sound card get AudigyZ. A great graphics card it the 6800GT, which you can easily OC to ultra speeds. NVIDIA has better drivers then ATI which is important. Get a good monitor if you need it along with speakers. newegg and zipzoomfly are good cheap, notable sites to buy from, with good shipping costs and length. Don't order anything from Alienware if you were thinking about it, they take forever to get to you. Hope you have fun building it. Buy retail packages whenever you can, it is just easier having all the nuts and bolts and instructions.

P.S.- Don't spend 3500$ just because you have it.

:grinthumb Seagate 36 Gb 15,000 RPM 80 Pin 4Mb U320 SCSI Hard Drive
Seagate 36 Gb 80Pin 15K 320SCSI
U320 SCSI - 80 Pin - 15,000 RPM
3.6 MS Seek Time

**Sorry i meant the above,And yes I am very stupid,You built 5 computers and i am well over 5000 ++ built to day and yes they do make 15000 rpm drives because I have 2 in my other system,Keep on building!! And make sure like you mentioned "buy those retail packages for your pc so you have all the nuts and bolts and even the instructions.:haha:

Hardway: learn by years of experience about all the latest cpus and mobos, vid cards, hard drives, etc... and build the one that seems to do what you want it to.

Easyway: look at what Alienware, FalconNW, and especialy Voodoo have in their top of the line, most expensive systems. Pick the fastest box out of the lot, buy identical parts as cheaply as you can, and build/enjoy. I'd take a Voodoo config over anything, these guys are serious about performance computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back