I have a Linkseys wireless router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first brought this computer home everything worked fine. When I click on my wireless connections panel I see that I am picking up my signal & it is an Excellent connection. I try to surf at that point & I cant bring up a page anywhere. Some setting must have changed. Can someone please give me a clue what might of happened & how I can fix it. Windows XP the the operating system. I can get the computer specs up later if they are required.

Thanks, Dennis

I may not have the answer to your problem but it might be a browser setting issue. What browser are you using and did you check the connections settings?

First off, through my expirence, Linksys are crap. They are the bad step child of cisco. I have had the misfortune of owning a couple of there wireless products.

I assume your getting your connection conditions through a utility, if so what one is it? (is it the one linksys provides?)

Has this PC run the internet before?

Have you tried another type of program other then a browser?

We need more info

Sean

Linksys is good,

sometimes you have to power cycle your router and modem, that fixes most connection issues. there is also a setting that you have to check to be able to connect to unsecured wireless networks,

but like he said, we need more info.

Of course, you didn't change anything.

First, yes, power cycle the router. Reboot your computer.

Post the output of the "ipconfig /all" command. You have to run it in the command prompt (Start->Run, "cmd", Run).

just so you dont get confused..its ipconfig /all not ifconfig.. Obviously Nodsu knows that (just a typo) :p

but i didnt want you to get thrown off.

Im at work right now. I will try & get the info you all are looking for when I get back home. Thanks for all the replies. Im on Windows XP & just using the Windows "Wireless Network Connections" panel. I have tried to reboot everything, not fixing it. I have 2 pc's at home, one is wireless(they both still work fine). Its my laptop from work that has somehow stopped working for me. Ill post again later when I get back home beside my router.

Thanks

Did you change any of the hardware configurations recently? If for some reason you started with the router attached to your PC, and then have removed the USB connector to it, the router no longer has a connection to the net.

If this sounds similar to something you did, go into the admin page of the linksys (192.168.1.1, defaults are admin/admin) and look for a MAC address clone. This will mimic your computers NIC card and allow the router back on the internet.

This may not be it, but I've met a few people who had similar trouble and this was the reason behind it. Good luck! :slurp:

if your taking it to work, and home again, try checking your network properties, click the wireless networks tab, click advanced at the bottom, and make sure the checkmark is in the box by automatically connect to nonprefered networks, it will display good signal strength, but wont let you browse anything if its not checked, and its not a secure network.

also, i had an issue once with my connection wouldnt let any other programs connect to the internet unless i opened an internet explorer window first, then it would work fine, not sure why it did that.

Router Problem

mailpup said:
I may not have the answer to your problem but it might be a browser setting issue. What browser are you using and did you check the connections settings?

The connections are OK and it was working up to yesterday. Now the internet light is out.

Hello, kackie47, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

It's good to meet you and I hope you enjoy it here :)

If you'll check the date on this thread, you'll see tat it goes back to 2005. I did this many times when i was new so don't worry about it, but it's good to get into the habit of checking you're not bringing up an old thread ;)

If you're having a similar or the same problem, post a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Grr!

I have a linksys WRT150N wireless router and Im trying to connect with a wireless-G usb adaptor. everythings fine on the host computer as far as cables and connection but on my own computer there is no connectivity. it says "Local access only" I was wondering what i could do to sustain a connection. any advice?

Hello, tls1133, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please see the links that I gave to kackie47, above.

Also, start your own thread in the Security and the Web forum instead of posting in a 2 year old thread. Literally copy and paste your post from this thread into a new one but add your Windows version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back