I have a old laptop try to install linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessa_jr

Hi there, i have a laptop with a windows 98 install on it... I want to use it again and install linux os on it..Is there a linux os that is the same as windows 98 hardware specification. Because my laptop is too old and I know it has a low hardware specification. Can you recommend me on how to do and the link of that linux os thanks.

Windows 98 worked and was installed on a very wide range of hardware. It would sort of help if you told us what your system specs are. The amount of RAM is the most important factor.

old laptop

Is there a linux os that can ran on 32mb ram or 64mb ram? Or is there any linux os that can ran with the least minimum hardware requirements?

I have Ubuntu and it has to have a minimum of at least 256 of ram. I don't think that you are going to get any new OS today that will run on 32 or 64MB of ram. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure there is none. I don't think any linux OS either is going to have one that runs on that little of ram either. If you could find out what kind of ram you have that could be helpful and we could tell you were to get some more if you can still get them that is.

ok thanks

Actually i'm using a dual boot vista and ubuntu in my other laptop. I just want to use my old laptop to be a linux box.

But anyway thanks for the help guys if you can find one just reply on this post. Thanks again

You can run Linux with 32MB no problem. Installing the thing is the tricky part since modern installers assume 128MB or more RAM.

With 64, you could run a conservative (read: small and fast) OS like Debian or Slackware Linux or any of the BSD no problem. If you choose a lightweight window manager, then you could even get a GUI. Actually using any programs will be a pain though.

With 32MB, anything graphical will be very, very, very slow. Text-based stuff will still be doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back