I have issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbo_dosnt_kno

For the record these are computer issues - not personal ones :)

Ok you guys will probably know what the problem is straight off, well I hope you do cuz i dont! My comps running on a 2.4 ghz processor, 80 gig hard drive, 512 meg and the 3d card is a GeForce2 Mx400. Now i've had this problem ever sice i got this new computer, every game i play will play perfectly for say 5 - 10 minutes yes perfectly, this includes Far Cry and battlefield 1942 but after 5 - 10 minutes it suddenly decides to go as slow my... well, VERY SLOW and sometimes just dies all together :mad: . Ive downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia.com but this changed nothing? Could it be overheating or something? Also i've read a few other threads with complaints about the Grforce2 and one guy said he fixed his by enabling dma on his hard drives and installed nvmax? What where and how is this done?

I tried going to http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64 liek this other guys sed but it doesnt work :(

Obi Wan Kenobi (or similar) your my only hope!

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

The right link for new via chipset 500a and 4 in 1
VIA arena
What MoBo?
What are the specs on the psu?
& please,please don't call me " Kenobi Wan Obi " ;)

oops!

No it means "power supply unit"

Ok then, good link, your board has a SiS661GX + 963L Chipset
(not a Via chipset)

If you click the "Download drivers" link on the site
you posted there are several update for your MoBo.
G'Luck and post back

How to change dma on win XP

Well that should rule out the psu as prob.

1.Right click "my computer" and select properties.

2.Click the "hardware tab" & then the "device manager" button.

3.in "device Mgr" look for "IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers", click on the "+" next to it
expand.

4. Right click "Primary ide channel" and selct properties.

5.Select the "advanced settings" tab. This should be what you need.
You'll need to do this for both ide channels

6.click ok, then close Device Mgr, then ok on the "system properties", reboot if asked.

G'Luck

They all say 'dma if availiable' damnit, i was counting on this as the problem. Any other suggestions? Ram issues maybe? Oh also im getting a new ATI PowerColor Radeon 9550 256mb AGP Game card tomorow, i hope this fixes the problems :eek: oh and im getting a 8 cm fan for the box as well. The box has an lcd screen on the front of it which tells me the temperature of the cpu, the time(pointless i know) and alarm(yet antoher poinless gadget) and at the moment it has a pic of a fan flashing at me cuz it doesnt recognise any fan - partly because ther is no fan, for the box that is not the processor. Do you think the new card will help at all???

Overheating was going to be my guess to this problem since the games play well at first and then things go bad. Sounds like you graphics card might be overheating. Better cooling could help. Your last post sounds like you were thinking the same thing.

To check whether is overheating you could open the side of your case and put a fan blowing onto your video card. Hope you figure out the problem if it isn't overheating.

Yea ill try that - the Geforce2 cards dont hav a fan thats y i thought it was overheating but yea ill try puttin a fan there and see how we go, thanks ill reply with the results

Lol i attached a processor fan from my old (dead) computer to the heatsink on the vid card and it worked a little bit but not enough, its still died. I used this same video card in my old computer and never had this problem so... I got nothin! :suspiciou

It sounds like your video card isn't compatible with your motherboard. I have a P4 2.4 GHz system with an Intel chipset and I can't use my Geforce 3 TI 500 with it. I am not really sure what the problem is but I know it doesn't work. I know my motherboard doesn't support AGP 2x but my card is supposed to be 4x.

Look on your card to see if there is a jumper that allows you to switch the card to 4x. That might fix your problem.

Yep it was the overheating problem after all! Ive installed an 8cm fan right next to the Geforece2 and it hasnt had ISSUES since haha

Great thanks guys!

Very cool.....

Man what a deal..
Somtimes we just never know ;)
Your "Far Cry and battlefield 1942" behaving then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back