I have problemm booting up my new system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

statixpulze

Hi...

My system is consist of :

- ATX casing with 450W PSU
- INTEL pentium 4 3.0Ghz 800 MHz FSB 2MB L2 cache supporting Hyper-Threading and EM64T
- Gigabyte GA -8IPE775 PRO ( intel 865PE +ATX Socket 775 )
- 512 Kingston DDR400 CL3 RAM
- GeForce FX 5200 128mb

The problem is that after attaching all those together my cpu neva boots... there is no light in front of my casing to show dat the cpu is running and also the PSU fan doesnt operate.. After awhile, When i plug in and switch the main switch, i smell a slight burning smell somewhre near PSU and the processor area dunnoe if i fried anething can someone help me with this? The next day i tried again there is no smel or anething but its still not working after checking thoroughly if i set the jumper wrongly

BTW i tried to check if the PSU is working but not quite sure if i done the right thing but i tried checkig with jz the PSU attached to the mother board to see if its working wid jz a ram n processor... still nothing... really need help... i am new to this

*editted*

I see anumber of people seeing this thread but no reply to this?

since you didn't list the brand name of your PSU, I will assume that it's a piece of crap generic brand (don't go by the 450W rating, when your case heats up, you're lucky if that thing produces even 300W)... you should get rid of it and buy a quality PSU

the "slight burning smell" is probably just dust on the hot heat sinks... clean it with compressed air.

try it with just the CPU and RAM (and nothing else: no video card/CD drive/Hard Disk Drive/etc.) and see if the fans spin up (on CPU and PSU), then ad each component one at at time to see what is causing the problem.

you're board may also be shorting out, make sure that you didn't put a standoff where there is no mouting hole, you can also do the above procedures with the mobo out of the case.

KingCody said:
since you didn't list the brand name of your PSU, I will assume that it's a piece of crap generic brand (don't go by the 450W rating, when your case heats up, you're lucky if that thing produces even 300W)... you should get rid of it and buy a quality PSU

the "slight burning smell" is probably just dust on the hot heat sinks... clean it with compressed air.

try it with just the CPU and RAM (and nothing else: no video card/CD drive/Hard Disk Drive/etc.) and see if the fans spin up (on CPU and PSU), then ad each component one at at time to see what is causing the problem.

you're board may also be shorting out, make sure that you didn't put a standoff where there is no mouting hole, you can also do the above procedures with the mobo out of the case.

Guess the PSU IS a piece of junk.. since i already tried wid the Processor and the Ram if u have not realise it... :) Aneway abt the suitable power supply unit how much Watt shuld i get if i were to upgrade wid extra IO cards and rams and a dvdrw... i tried using the calculator and its so confussing..

statixpulze said:
BTW i tried to check if the PSU is working but not quite sure if i done the right thing but i tried checkig with jz the PSU attached to the mother board to see if its working wid jz a ram n processor... still nothing
Yes, I saw what you said, but that is strange english and I didn't know if you had anything elsle attached (such as a 2nd stick of RAM).

I don't know how many watts your entire system will require, because you haven't specified what your entire system consists of, you mentioned a few components, but that can't be all of it.

With a quality brand PSU (like Antec), you should be OK with 350W~400W. The power ratings on a reputible brand name PSU are much more accurate. Cheap no-name brand PSUs rate the max power @ 25ºC (the average case temps are about 10ºC higher, which greatly reduces the maximum output. Also, with a cheap PSU the voltages are loosely regulated and the overload/over-voltage protection circuits are unreliable

sorry...

My current system is consist of :

- INTEL pentium 4 3.0Ghz 800 MHz FSB 2MB L2 cache supporting Hyper-Threading and EM64T
- 1 512 Kingston DDR400 CL3 RAM
- GeForce FX 5200 128mb AGP
- 1 Cd writer
- 1 floppy disk
- RAID ata 133 card
- maxtor ata 133 40GB hardisk

My future system would be:

- 2 512 Kingston DDR400 CL3 RAM
- GeForce FX 5200 128mb AGP
- 1 LG DVDwriter
- 1 Cd-rom
- 1 floppy disk
- 1 wintv express tv tuner
- RAID ata 133 card
- maxtor ata 133 40GB hard disk
- maxtor sata 160GB hard disk

and on top of this a router.

If this would work with a quality 450W PSU or i need more?

ps.. sorry for my bad english..

Did you plug all the front connectors into the Mobo correctly? Things like the power switch, reset button, hard drive light, etc etc...

s3xynanigoat said:
Did you plug all the front connectors into the Mobo correctly? Things like the power switch, reset button, hard drive light, etc etc...

yes already done dat.. but it jz doesnt want to start... maybe like KingCody said... my PSU is jz a junk... :)

*Editted*

Well this is strange tho... after many hours and days, i decided to unplug all the front panel jumper cable. after one whole day i decided to try once more before i declare my casing with the PSU dat comes wid it as junks ( not only dat, i cant unscrew 2 of the screws to detach the PSU :( ) i placed back the jumper to the exact same place as i did before and now it works... I jz cant explain wat happen but guess i kinda happy for dat now... Jz one thing dat i realise, my CPU would boot up with a constant temperature of 53-55 degree Celcius... IS this normal?? i dun wanna burn the Processor coz its too expensive if something happen to it...

i believe the maximum temperature for that CPU before system damage occurs is 68ºC, so you're temps are not dangerous, but should be lower anyways.

I'm not an Intel guy, but I know that the older pentiums would run at a very slow speed if they overheated, which would keep them running cool (unlike AMD CPUs which would always run at full speed and overheat within seconds causing the system to shut down to prevent damage)

but anywho... you seem to have accidentally fixed your problem... so good job :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back