I just lost ALOT of disk space...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont even really know where to begin guys. ill do my best to explain my situation.

i had a pc dual booting windows and linux, the disk is 200gig and was partitioned as such

C: (this drive did hold windows, but i moved win to d:, long story, so this partion held mostly nothing (just the boot info for win)

D: (this drive held the main windows os, and some media, but was mostly reserved for windows)

G: (this was my storage drive, i think it was about 140 gigs, it had all my backed up audio and video)

??: (linux was installed at the end of my disk, i dont know what drive letter it was issued )

what happened was, someone changed my linux loggin password, and i was unable to figure it out (i not that good), so i had to format the linux partiton and reinstall. once i reinstalled i found that somehow the install corrupted the windows file hal.dll, and i was without a rescue disk. but linux worked fine, and at that point i know that my disk was still in order.

so i put in my windoes disk, couldent figure out the recovery console, i decided to just do a reinstall. when the windows installer prompted me to choose where i wanted to install, it gave me only one option...

C: 137gigs, used space

i found this very strange, b/c my C: drive was previously only 9gigs, and because NONE of the other partitions showed up.

137 gigs was also the size of my previous G: drive

so like a fool, i continued with the install, and now i have an operation windows system installed onto a 137 gig C: drive, and thats it.

not only did my partition tabe change, but i lost 60 gigs of disk space in the process. not to mention my linux partion is now gone as well.

drives C: D: AND G: were all NTFS, and the linux partion was ext3.

ive heard to many times of NTFS disks "misplacing" disk space, so im hoping thats all that happened, sadly, ihave no idea what to do about it.

any help/ links / whatever you guys got /

greatly appreciated.

endu

i wasnt trying to be rude or anything.. its just that yes, i have service pack 2, my problem seems to be that only one part/140 gigs of my disk is being detected.

anyone?

Depending on what program was used to make the partitions themselves it's hard to say what can be done to correct this...
Does the Linux partition show up in Windows ? ?

patio. :cool:

You have lost all the data on the drive, that's it.

When you reinstalled XP it did not have SP1 or SP2 slipstreamed (see link) so it was uncapable of detecting the HDDs true size of 200GB & only offered the first 137GB as an unpartitioned space.

Once you have decided to install Windows on that partition, it has overwritten everything that was written on the first 137GB of the drive to create a new partition & installed the OS on it. Now that Windows is up & running, install SP1 or SP2, then in disk management you will be able to see the remaining ~63GB of the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back