I just reinstalled Windows XP and now my speakers dont make ANY sound they are on too

Status
Not open for further replies.
please help me! I reinstalled windows XP and now my speakers dont work. they are connected to the computer and they are on, but do i need to reinstall the sound drivers? please tell me simple step by step instructions. HELP ME!!!! i NEED sound!

Yes there should be sound card drivers that came with either the motherboard (on-board sound card) or your pci add-on sound card such as Creative Soundblaster Infinity series. Do you have a pci sound card installed? If so just go to manufacture's website and dl the last drivers.

im not very smart...i need VERY simple step by step instructions....it worked RIGHT before i reinstalled windows XP!!!! the reason i reinstalled is because my computer had a virus and broke down....i just need sound! what do i do????

You need to reinstall the sound drivers. You need to post what kind of computer you have. You can download a program called Everest that will tell you what you have.

can i do this without downloading...or can you send me a SAFE link?? i dont want to get another virus! thats what caused this problem in the first place....whats a quick way to find out what kind of PC

Let's guess and go with Realtek. Do you have a DELL or know of any brand name like eMachine or something?
If Realtek don't work you can just uninstall. I'll walk you through uninstall if required.

Go to the Start > Run dialog box and type in dxdiag and click OK. It should tell you the manufacturer of your PC and by clicking on the "Sound" tab, tell you what kind of sound device you have.

Ordinarily, you go to the PC manufacturer's website (which should be safe), locate and download the relevant drivers and install them. Keep in mind after reinstalling Windows you have to reinstall other drivers besides your sound driver, for example, chipset drivers, graphics drivers, LAN drivers, Modem drivers, etc. Whatever applies. You should also find instructions how to do this on their websites. However, if you still have trouble you can post questions here.

For the sound driver specifically, (if you have onboard sound) you could go to the onboard sound chip manufacturer's website but they usually recommend (at least I think Realtek does) going to the PC or motherboard maker's websites since their drivers take into account any motherboard specific factors.

Edit: AMD-Athlon is only the name of the (CPU) processor manufacturer, not the name or model of the PC.

Hmm, how old is this PC? Sounds like an Athlon XP or maybe even a Thunderbird cpu. You need to dl a free program called cpu-z or Everest Home Edition. Google them. They will read all your details we need to know.

i have the exact same computer and the exact same problem. i tried reinstalling the driver off the cd but an error occurred and the application shut down. i tried downloading it off the website and i found nothing. the strange thing is when i plug my xbox 360 controller in then plug the headset in i can hear sound through that, but not through speakers or headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back