I Keep getting blue screen for a reason that I dont know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.
My name is Tony. Im new to this site and the whole forum thing, but yeah. I keep getting a bluw screen well let me tell you what has happened. I've had a comp that was running fine. I moved locations and when I went to hook up my computer and turn it on I wasnt getting any signal to my monitor. So I started going threw all my hardware piece by piece trying to see what the problem was, In short, I ended up putting everything on a different motherboard and everything was working just fine. So I went out and bought my own NEW ASUS P4V8X-MX Mobo. I put all my old parts onto this new motherboard and booted up. Installed all the drivers and everything was working fine. Then my computer just restarts. I boot up again and turn off Auto Restart and continue doing what I was doing, Then my computer goes to a blue screen and it says:
=======================================
====================
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XBF9C38A0, 0XF7E5A34C, 0X00000000)

*** ati2dvag.dll - Address BF9C38A0 base at BF9B8000, DateStamp 4420CAFA

==========================
=================================================

I restarted my computer and Reformatted me Primary HardDrive hoping that it would solve my problem and I can get back to what I need to. So I start re-installing my programs and half way threw the same blue screen and error come up. My luck. So I dont know what else to do or what it can be other than a possible defective mother board. So I thought I would come here and see if anyone can help me before I go and spend more money on this dang computer.
=============
I'm Running:
*(MotherBoard: ASUS P4V8X-MX)
-Windows XP Pro
-Intel Pentium 4, 2399MHz, 512KB (0% Load)
-240/512MB (46.88%) of memory
-40 GB HardDrive / 80 GB Slave
-RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700

I moved locations and when I went to hook up my computer and turn it on I wasnt getting any signal to my monitor

Please tell me you tried both the onboard graphics and the AGP, and the "init display first" value in the bios was set for the right source?

One option would be to re-make your xp-cd without the driver, which would force windows to use the generic AGP driver (namely AGP440.sys). You would then be able to go into windows to do something about it with any luck.

To do this, you'd simply have to copy your cd contents to a card drive folder. browse that folder to /i386/ and extract the contents of driver.cab to another new folder on the hard drive. Delete atidvag.dll from that folder, and re-compress the drivers within it once more to drivers.cab. Use this file to replace the one in /i386/ and then burn your "fixed" xp cd by creating an iso of the folder with cdimagegui and buring that iso to cd with nero, or similar.

There may be another solution, but this one should work, and is the first that comes to my mind.

Of course, windows will no doubt ask for the missing dll, but you should be able to tell it to cancel/ignore, and have it carry on regardless. Failing this, you might like to also delete any files starting with ati and ending with .in_ (eg, ATIM128.in_) in drivers.cab) to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back