I keep losing my modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjo13

I keep having to reinstall my modem. It installs fine. I can dial out and everything seems peachy. Then when I shut down, or just restart, I get a yellow exclamation point beside it when its finished rebooting,and beside Com port 2 in device manager. The error says something like this "device wouldn't start the last time so windows will never try and open it again".The same message is beside both the modem and com port 2...Then I uninstall both the modem and com prt, redetect my modem, it finds it, reinstalls it, the error messages go away and everything is fine again until I shut down or restart and then reboot again to find the yellow exclamation points again. What could be doing this? I am running win98se. I have no other errors on my pc and it runs fine except this issue.

Something Loading at Bootup

It sounds like something must be loading at bootup that is causing a conflict. Do you know how/where to check for all startup programs? What operating system are you using?

Using win98se. yes i do know where to check and I dont see anything that could be conflicting with it. ????

If it is an internal modem, put it in another slot, away from your graphics card. The middle slot from 3 or 5 PCI-slots is probably the best.
If it is a win-modem, get rid of it and get an external modem or an internal modem from e.g. 3COM or Intel. You could also try to de-activate COM2 in your BIOS, forcing the modem onto another IRQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back