I murdered my laptop, your judgement call please

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Resolved]I murdered my laptop, your judgement call please

Hi, first of all I apologize if this is the wrong subforum to post.

I own a Acer Travelmate 660 which has a Pentium 4M 1.5Ghz cpu.

I came across a website that suggested I could overclock this machine with a little program and decided to try it. After experimenting a bit I accedentally clicked a bit too fast and suddenly there was a grey screen, after that it wouldn't boot anymore (the screen just stays black).

Are you done laughing? Good.... :)

I would like to hear your thoughts on what is wrong and how (if possible) to fix it. What do you think is broken? would it be the CPU or perhaps the chipset? What would be the most likely.

I appreciate your time.

Gril

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The only thing I can suggest, is that you take out the cmos battery, for a few minutes, and then replace it. Make sure you unplug the battery pack first.

This will reset the bios to the default settings. If you are lucky, your computer should now boot.

You will probably need to go into your bios setting, and reset a few things.

If this doesn`t work, then it looks like you might have fried the cpu.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thaks Howard, I did try removing the cmos battery and to no avail. That didn't suprise me because according to the software I used(can't remember the name right now) it was something that would automatically reset after a reboot, so BIOS doesn't come into play. Otherwise I might of used the BIOS to overclock it.

So I'm pretty convinced I have a hardware problem, I guess what I am mostly asking is wether I could have ruined even more than just my CPU. I can find replacements for the CPU for very decent prices (2nd hand) so I don't mind taking the risk. But could I have also ruined the other motherboard electronics? Or is that unlikely?

Greetings, gril

I guess what I am mostly asking is wether I could have ruined even more than just my CPU.

I suppose it`s entirely possible that other components could`ve been damaged.

Unfortunately, the only way you`ll find out is to replace the cpu, and see.

Alternatively, you could take it to a repair shop.

Regards Howard :)

LOL

It was actually one of the memorybanks that had been toasted, I can't believe it has taken so long for me to try that.

So I am up and running but with only 1 * 256MB, good excuse for an upgrade.

Thank you :)

overclock at your own risk. I toasted a perfectly new XP3200+ CPU in my desktop once. It was a $200 mistake. Painful lesson to learn.

So true. I am probably just going to install 1 Gig of memory, that should make a great difference - it originally had 512MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back