I need a driver for a Samsung 606F DVD-rom drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedlam_4

Hey guys and gals.
I have an older Samsung dvd-rom that I need a driver for. I looked on Samsung's support page and found nothing helpful.
Anyone know where I can down load a driver? The model # is Samsung 606F.

Thanks Nodsu.
The first page with Faqs is exactly what I needed. I did download a generic driver from Samsung but it just would not take. Soon as I get a chance I will run through their driver install protocol.

I also joined one of the free driver data bases that Stormbringer linked to. Just waiting for them to send my password. If I still have trouble I will submit a new thread. Thanks guys.

Still having difficulties

First off the machine in question.
450 mghz pentium ll on a generic bx board running XP home.
256megs sdram.

What I have done is deleted the device via the device manager. After that I opened the new driver set up program to reinstall the driver.

According to Samsung's faq page I need to go to regedit>hkey_local_machine>enum. (I do not see 'enum')and find my device there. Then delete it. This wipes out all traces of the old drivers. If that fails and the new drivers fail to take then reinstall the os. The drivers are integral to Window's os'.

I can't see how I would reinstall the os if my cd-rom drive is not operating. Driver details (device manager>click samsung 606f>driver tab>driver details) have green checks next to four of the six drivers listed.

So evry time I restart after deleting the drive XP 'finds new hardware' and reinstalls the bad drivers. For reasons unknown system restore was not enabled previous to losing the original drivers. Unfortunately.

In what form do you have these new drivers?

Go to Device Manager, right-click on your drive, choose properties, drivee, update driver

Install from a specific location, don't search.

Next, have disk, navigate to your new drivers.

If the new drivers are in a single .exe file, then you have to decompress it with WinRAR first.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need drivers for your DVD? Are you having problems having it recognized or something like that?

If you are getting slow performance, check to make sure you have DMA enabled for your DVD-ROM in device manager, under IDE/ATA controllers.

If your DVD is on a special ATA/66/100/133/RAID/SCSI controller, then DMA should not matter.

If your DVD is not recognized, then ensure all your jumper settings are correct and your cables are snug.

Hi Rick
This is what happened. I deleted a program that we never use called HP Share to the Web. I also emptied my recycle bin. I also deleted my sound blaster audigy program so I could reinstall it. Our sound quit and the integral diagnostic program showed no problems. A couple of the drivers for my cd drive and as well as my cd rewrite were either corrupted or lost when I deleted share to the web.

Nodsu
I already tried having the update driver wizard install from the floppy. It says it can't find a better match for my hardware and quits.

If I bypass the wizard and choose to find the driver to install myself I get an applet that asks which drive. I tell it A:.
the file listed on A: is inf.. So I click on open and nothing happens.

I also surmize that the green checks on the listed drivers mean the programs are signed. Not an indication of whether or not the programs are all present and healthy.

What I would like to do is try deleting all the drivers from this drive from the registry and then reinstall them from a floppy. I don't know how to recognize which programs to delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back