I need a USB hub and I'm not sure which one

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

I have an Asus A7V8X-X MB, and it has some USB ports, but I need more. Can I hook a USB 2 hub to this board? Any recommendations for an inexpensive hub that will do the job adequately?

Yep you can, doesn't that board use USB 2.0 anyway?

Definately get a powered hub (plugs into the wall). Cheap ones work just as well as expensive ones. But I've had one die myself, and my parents have had 2 cheap ones that developed dead ports. If I needed a hub myself anymore I'd probably still pick up a cheap one though.

Another alternative is to pick up a PCI card to add additional ports. For example, one i used once had 4 ports on the back, and 1 port inside.

I'm 95% sure it uses usb 2.0, so you'll want to get a 2.0 hub. But even if it was 1.1 a 2.0 hub would still work.

In my book SNGX1275's suggestion about the additional PCI card with 4 ports on it would be preference. I have come across more than one supposedly quality USB hub which when connected stopped the PC booting.

Okay, I'm not real knowledgable, so can I just buy a PCI card that just adds extra ports and that's its function?

Maybe you missed this when I said it earlier.
SNGX1275 said:
Another alternative is to pick up a PCI card to add additional ports. For example, one i used once had 4 ports on the back, and 1 port inside.
So yes you can.

The disadvantage to this is you have to plug everything into your computer still, hubs allow for more convenient placement.

Oh yeah, I saw your original suggestion, but I got confused by it. It's been so long since I actually took a class in how to upgrade and build computers that I had forgotten that such expansion cards were available. I guess this place is great for a refresher course, so thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back