I need advice on updating my mobo chipset drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am not very bright when it comes to hardware issues. I understand enough to build a computer but not enough too know what is happening when it acts up.

I'd like to update my mobo chipset drivers. But I am unsure of which file at the website to download. I'll post my specs in a moment. My main issue is that my Games keep freezing, causing my whole system to freeze and it requires me to reboot the whole computer, which is not good because its happening so frequently. I am thinking it might be somthing to do with my GFX Card getting old, or not heated enough, but it might be my CPU too. I am sure both are getting enough power from my ANTEC 550watt PSU. Its very frustrating as you could well imagine.

Any help on either issue would be most appreciated.

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+
Motherboard Name Asus A8N-SLI (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4 SLI, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (PC4000 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (10/21/05)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO (512 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (Q6U064300323)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB X-Fi [NoDB]

find the exact model board you have on the motherboard maker's site. Download ONLY those drivers. Often, if you do a manual windows update and select hardware updates, it MAY update those drivers. But to be sure, go to the Asus website.

ASUS is known to be very picky about ram. Ensure you are using only recommended brands/types. to test bad ram, run memtest 86+ from a floppy or cd for 7 passes or more.

Your psu should be sufficient for power. To be sure, test it with a multimeter and PSU tester.

Heating can cause all kinds of errors. Ensure your system is adequately cooled.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

CONGRATS. You are Tedster's 6500th post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back