I Need help installing a Sata HD with WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickman45

I never installed WindowsXp Home on a sata HD before, I am only using one sata HD and am afraid if I install the Raid drivers, I will get an Error Hard Drive
not found! , since I am only using one Seagate sataII 120gig HD., I have the jest of using a floppy disk and know I need to install the sata drivers, I am using a Biostar 6100-M9 MoBo, AMD 64 +4000 cpu, 1 gig of DDR PC2700 ram,
I may wish to install a second sata 120 HD some day! but not ready or able
to decide. can it be installed later under window?
Also I have 2 IDE connectors on my MoBo, and need to install a Sony DVD
Burner IDE connection, also a Sony CD-R/RW Burner, do I make the DVD drive
Master, and the CD-R/RW the Slave and keep them on one cable?
What would be the best configuration for this new computer I am trying to build? also concerned with burning problems on drives, like after runs ect...
any help would greatly be appreciated.
Rickman45

It isn't as difficult as it looks if you have a system and case with SATA cables.
The DVD drive and CD-RW slave just have to have jumpers installed correctly... either master and slave, or positioned properly on plug one and two.
Be sure you are grounded, and are protecting your system against static electricity.
If your EIDE cables are old or brittle, buy new ones, which are only 3 or 4 dollar each. Treat all cables and connectors with a lot of respect... do not force anything. When it fits, it fits.

If you're only using one SATA drive, then there is no need to install the RAID drivers. Those drivers are for running two or more hard drives in tandem. If you decide to add another SATA hard drive later on, then you can install the RAID drivers,but right now, DON'T install the RAID drivers with only one hard drive.

If this is a new build and this is a new install of XP, make sure your SATA harddrive is the first bootable in your BIOS configuration.

Hmmmm.....

Intel's BIOS will autoswitch the SATA drive (with only 1 installed) to run as IDE, it's the only way to run 1 SATA. If 2 SATA HDDs are installed you must manually switch to IDE or install the raid driver. Other systems/BIOS must work like this, yes? Also, still, shouldn't the CD drives be the first boot devices anyway? I have 2 SATA HDDs but when I installed the OS 1 was left unplugged, then connected later (using the drive as a volume). Letting the BIOS do the thinking.

By definition you cannot run 1 hard drive in RAID. RAID is for multi drives.
SATA drivers are used to program the OS to understand SATA - it has nothing to do with RAID.
If you get another identical drive you have to use both SATA and RAID drivers if you want your sata drives to be in a RAID array.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back