I need help turning my TV into a monitor

By TylerDuelist84 ยท 4 replies
Oct 15, 2005
  1. I'm going to be using my TV as a monitor, and I have my video card. What I need to know is what kind of sound card do I need. The input on the back of my tv is the Yellow/White/Red input. I'm really trying to keep my price range to $30.00 but I'm willing to go as high as $50.00. Also, I'd like it to work well with pc games such as Guild Wars and Fable: The Lost Chapters.
  2. A_DOG73

    A_DOG73 TS Rookie Posts: 170


    I suggest getting a tv with VGA inputs on the back (like a flat panel lcd tv). With RCA i think the resolution is going to be really bad.
  3. A_DOG73

    A_DOG73 TS Rookie Posts: 170

    Are you connecting via vga? For the sound you can buy a converter cable that connects to the red and white inputs on the back of your tv and the other side of the cable to the headphone jack on your pc.
  4. TylerDuelist84

    TylerDuelist84 TS Rookie Topic Starter

    I'm connecting the video with an S-Video connection. I want to know what would be a good sound card to use. I just checked my TV and it has these audio/video input outlets: Red/White/Yellow, S-Video, Red/Green/Blue. Also, as I said on my first post, I prefer to stay under $30.00 but I'm willing to go as high as $50.00 if I must. I feel dumb for not posting this before. It must be PCI only, not AGP/PCI-Express.

    Or I just thought of this: What kind of cable is it that you can plug in to the basic speaker input outlet on the computer and the other end is the Red/White audio cable that I can plug into my tv?

    Lol, that funny you posted the samething I did at the same time.
  5. vnf4ultra

    vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

    Does your motherboard have any integrated audio? If so, then you don't need to buy any sound card. If not just get a cheap one like a soudblaster live 7.1 24bit, they're usually ~$30usd. I think you'd need a cable that goes from 1/8" jack on one end to two(red and white) rca jacks on the other. I think I've seen these, but don't know what they're called, or if they have a name.
    Kinda like this.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...