I need just a little help if possible, customising WinXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrenter

What I would like to customise with WinXP, is simply to allow only certain programs I have installed to own a piece of my "right-click". Below are several programs I have, that when I right-click on either a file and/or folder several options become open.

Easy CD-RA Extractor, Trend Micro Antispyware, Winamp, WinZip, WinRAR, WinACE, PowerISO, jetAudio, Protection ID and Norton Antivirus.

An example of what I mean is when I right-click an m4a file, it gives me the option, "Scan with ProtectionID". Now I don't use this program. I uninstalled it soon after installing however..I can't get rid of the option. And the list of options always gets longer.

The only program function options I would like to see when right-clicking maybe would be WinZip and PowerISO. I could quickly make zip files, or unzip them and set number of virtual drives very easily. All the other programs I would only use their functions when I have opened them.

I know all this might sound petty but I like to keep my interface and user functionality/user experience neat. Help is always of course appreciated.

How to remove a right click menu option -

"Usually, all that is required is to remove the appropriate key under the shellex\ContextMenuHandlers key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT for file type "*". "

From HERE

How to add an option -

Open windows explorer.

Tools, Folder Options and click on the 'File Types' tab.

In the list of 'registered file types' ClIck on Folder and then click on the Advanced button.

Click New.

In the 'Action' box in the New Action window, type "Open with ***** " (no quotes).
In the 'Application used to perform action'box click on the Browse button and Navigate to the folder where the application .exe file resides.

Hit OK.
Hit OK.
Hit OK.

From - HERE

Great help!

Thanks for the help as usual, didn't think people were that similar to me. Great link aswell. I'm sure I'll be able to sort this all out.

That Windows Explorer - Folder Options/File Types tool looks very useful. It's a shame you can't remove from there, only add. I can't find a few of the corresponding registry entries for some right-click options that I want to remove. Surely not everything's in Context Menu Handlers, because some are missing or located elsewhere. What do you think;)

Which right click options in particular ? If you mean "send to",there`s a send to folder somewhere with those shortcuts.

Examples of what I mean are....

I right-click a folder and it gives:

Convert with Easy CD-DA Extractor
Burn to an Audio CD with Easy CD-DA Extractor
Scan with Trend Micro Anti-Spyware
Add to Winamp's Bookmark List
Enqueue in Winamp
Play in Winamp

jetAudio - with suboptions

Plus all of the WinRAR and WinACE options which are all listed, about 10 or so functions/commands.

All of these I could without, but going to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/shellex/ContextMenuHandlers it only shows a few programs that own the "right-click" Not all of the possiblities that I sometimes see when I right click files/folders.

They must be another folder listed similar to ContextMenuHandlers in another part of the registry but I can't navigate through it that well obviously. Bit of a novice.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\ shell. I've just deleted the Winamp selections and now they're no longer on the context menu.

Do you know what my WinAce's options would be listed as in the registry? I can see that in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Directory\ shellex and other ContextMenuHandler entry locations that there are 2 other subfolders, called EncryptionMenu and ZFAdd. Would ZFAdd be it?? Help would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back