I need samba help, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Windowsxp computers and one Fedora Core 3 which Im trying to set up filesharing on.

I have set up Samba everyway possible and I get the same thing:

I can access my Windows shares from my FC3 box but I cant access my FC3 shares from my Windows box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Windows I keep getting messages like "drive path not found" or "you may not have permission to acces this share. Contact system admin" depending on how I set up samba.

Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!! Am Im Missing something here? I can see the references to the shares from windows I just cant get into them

How about posting the Samba configuration file for starters?
Do you have the firewall active on the Linux box?

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = Samba Server
security = SHARE
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
printcap name = /etc/printcap
dns proxy = No
idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
cups options = raw

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[Share]
path = /home/bambam/Share
guest ok = Yes

Thanks for your reply. Any help would be appreciated

one thing I did notice is that in my services menu I dont have the nmbd service listed. Dont that need to be installed and running for samba to work? If yes how do I install this service?

You don't need nmbd really - it is for Windows name resolution. If you have only a handful of machines then you are better off using hosts files or IP addresses,

This very minimal Samba setup looks OK.
Do you have the firewall active on the Linux machine?
Have you created the Samba user(s)?
What are the permissions on the /home/bambam and /home/bambam/Share directories?

Now on to your Windows machine..
I trust it is in the MSHOME workgroup.
How are you trying to access the Linux share?
Any software firewalls?

Nodsu, thanks for all your help. Heres the answers to your questions:

1) I do have the firewall active on the linux machine. But even if I allow all exeptions I still cannot connect. Believe me Ive tried everything.

2) I do have a set of samba users set up. Ive actually narrowed it down to one until I can figure out what the problem is. So Im only working between two machines now.

3)I have changed the permissions of my share folder to include rwx permission to all recipients , still no access.

4) The workgroup is mshome

5) Accessing linux share should be through the network neighborhood on the windows machine. My "samba server" shows up on the windows box and so do my shared files. But when I click on them to access I get some message box elplaining why I cant access, these messages change with different set ups.

6) No, no software firewalls. Not on the Linux machine. And from the linux machine I can access my shared files on my windows box. So firewalls shouldnt be an issue.

Heres an interesting fact. Samba worked on this machine with the same windows machines before on another install. But it wount work now!!!!

If you can see the actual contents of the shares then Samba itself is working fine and your problems lie elsewhere.

How about the permissions on the actual files in the share directories?

A firewall blocks incoming connections. And connections are initiated by the client computer. So if you have a Windows machine with no firewall acting as a SMB server then things will work. If you have a Linux machine with a firewall active being the server then it is no wonder if other computers can't access it. You could try turing off the firewall completely just to eliminate one variable until you get things working.

I have the same problem

I have the same problem, Did you ever get this problem solved?

If so, please share the solution.

Thanks,

I just reverified my SAMBA access

from Linux to XP
if the user LOGINs are the same
the XP share gets mounted with the desktop
and the login for file access is
user
workgroup-name
XP-login-passwd​
on port 139

Status