I need some advice on buying an X800...

Status
Not open for further replies.

compguy

x850 xt or nvidia

Hello everybody what do u all prefer ati x850 xt or nvidia post 4 your advice....
SEBASTIAN

i would prefer radeon myself but what n-vidia card are you thinking about geforce 6800? radeon x850 is going to be faster

Alright, so I'm interested in finally getting rid of my integrated video card and bumping it up to an X800... however, since I have NO idea about PCI-e/PCI/etc. and I only know a little bit about video cards, I need some help.

I have an Intel 915gv chipset ( http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/915gv/index.htm ) and I want to know if an X800 will fit or not. If it won't, someone please suggest another video card for me to get. I'll be running Half Life 2 and the like, so I need the best possible. :rolleyes:

x850 XT

Hey aaronwild listen from my experience i recommend for the money to get a x850 xt its a wonderful video card and you will really enjoy it post me back please to know what u think thanks..... :)
SEBASTIAN

do you have agp 8x or not if you do i would suggest radeons 9800 pro 256mb card as it will run anygame out there full max graphics with ease and can be bought at a fraction of the price. 150-200 dollars. pci express is just an added piece to the pci bus that comes with the card. if you pci bus you can run pci express

Oh man, I'd love to have an X850. However, it's all a question of price... how much do they usually run for? I'm on a bit of a budget, sadly.

And nope, Bobcat, I don't have an AGP slot at all. Just PCI and PCI-e.

x850 xt

hey aaronwild x850 xt runs about 499$ which its pretty good but the x800's run about 100$ more but trust me if u can afford it get the x850 xt you wont go wrong trust me... :)

SEBASTIAN

Well now, Aaron, you did say you wanted the best possible. You didn't mention you'd let a little thing like money stand in your way. LOL. I wouldn't say you "only" have a PCI-E slot. That's a good thing. There are various versions of X800 cards for PCI-E, X800XL, X800XT, and X800XT Platinum Edition. Various ATI partner companies make these cards including ATI itself.

Naturally, the best of this X800 series is the platinum edition. I happen to have this one. While there isn't that much difference in cost between the X800XTPE and the X850XTPE, the reason I went with the X800XTPE is I was unwilling to give up a PCI slot. The X850XTPE takes up two slots because of the size of the cooling fan. I can still upgrade later, although by then it will probably be to something beyond the current X850.

An X800XL runs in the neighborhood of $300 (usd) while an X800XTPE and the X850XTPE are about twice (or less) that.

By the way, the X800 series will fit your motherboard. You can get the X800 and X850 series now in either PCI-E or AGP versions.

Well, Mailpup, I mean the best possible at the budget I have. =P

See, my major problem is that I (in all honesty) don't know a thing about PCI-e. When I read up on my motherboard a bit, I saw that it has a PCI-e x1 slot... and didn't see any mention of PCI-e x16, which I thought was needed to run an X800. >.>

Hey aaronwild by the way the x800's r a bit pricy like the x800 xt pro etc are about 500$ but the best and the rarest best video card from ati radeon will be the x850 xt that run's about 449$ and its a AMAZING i really recommend this to you because it's graphics and just the way it runs well its your decision.......Good Luck and post me when you have your finale decision....Happy gaming......:)

Sebastian

I looked at the link you provided and the Intel® 915GV Chipset features a PCI Express X 16 graphics interface. Do you know which brand and model motherboard you have?

Unless I'm completely lost, I have a Intel D915GVWB motherboard.

And compguy, I think I'm just going to stick with an X800XL for now. ;)

I looked up your motherboard here: http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/wb/

It appears Intel chose not to include an AGP or PCI-E x 16 slot for graphic card expansion on your motherboard. Your only hope for expansion is a PCI graphics card or a new motherboard, otherwise you are stuck with onboard graphics.

Your choices as well as potential performance are limited with a PCI graphics card. Unfortunately, it will be nowhere near the performance of an X800 card.

I'm not the best person to recommend a specific motherboard as I have limited knowledge. I have an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (PCI-E) which I'm happy with but everyone has their preferences. I have two other PCs but they are Dells and they don't count.

Since you're considering a new motherboard, you need to decide which, if any, components you want to reuse from your old PC. That will narrow your choices some. Some components probably won't make any difference, such as HD, optical drives and PCI cards but CPU and type of RAM would. Keep in mind that you have a micro ATX form factor motherboard so if you are planning to reuse the PC case, your new motherboard must also be a micro ATX to fit. Also, now you're free to decide whether you want an AGP or PCI-E graphics card. Deciding that will narrow your choices further. I recommend a PCI-E card. Then you have board features to consider like USB headers, dual channel RAM support, onboard sound, number of PCI slots, SATA and RAID support, etc. Then there's the cost. The amount you have available or are willing to spend will have a bearing on which board will be suitable. Also, if you are upgrading components, you might have to upgrade your power supply, so figure that into your budget as well (don't get a cheap one).

Narrow the parameters a bit and I'm sure others can give you some recommendations to consider.

PCI Graphics

Sadly, with PCI graphics, you will not be able to see a big improvment over onboard. It will be better yes but not by much. I dont know of any companies making new PCI cards, so the best one i have ever seen would be a Nvidia5700. Make sure no to get the 64 bit version of this card. I would make sure that you can get it to fit your case. I found a low-profile version of the card here that you may want to consider. If you are really into gaming, it would be a much better option just to get a new mobo. G'luck

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back