I need some help cleaning my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

This is all stuff from the Add/Remove Programs list, and I want as much junk off my computer as I can get.

Adobe Atmosphere Player for Acrobat and Adobe Reader
Adobe Flash Player ActiveX

Apple Software Update
Broadcom Management Programs
Broadjump Client Foundations (I have attempted to uninstall this, but It ended up uninstalling my Internet Call Waiting, which I need)

Dell Digital Jukebox Driver
Dell Driver Reset Tool (What the heck is this?)
Modem Event Monitor
Modem Helper
Modem on Hold
My Way Search Assistant (I can't get this off. I try, and it says there was an error. I may have to reinstall it, but I don't trust it.)

There are two Quicktimes listed. One is 76.9 MB, while the other is 1.15. What is the difference? Also, one looks like it is being unpacked from a box in the Icon.

Thanks for your time and patience.

hi. can u tell me which quicktime is the one with the icon that u explained plz. also my way search assistant is spyware and adware (HERE) so try this program it may remove the spyware files on your computer. May i note that when a program shows an error during uninstallation, the uninstall package is either corrupt or one of the uninstall files is missing. I suggest u install spyware blaster first then reinstall my way search assistant to fix the corrupt uninstall package. then uninstall the program using it's uninstall. Dell driver reset tool restores all drivers to the last working state. i recomend leaving this installed. the broad jump thing u should first kill the CDF.exe process in windows task manager then uninstall.more information HERE. After u've uninstalled all the crap, u could try to check for junk files using CCLEANER. hope this helps and isn't too much info!!!

The quicktime is the one that is 76.9 mb. My way search assistant CAME WITH the computer. (I am not saying you were wrong, but I think it is Ironic).

I have no intentions of downloading ANOTHER AS program, due to slowdowns already, and I am trying to get my computer cleaned up of programs as much as possible.

Thanks.

yep that's the quicktime setup package. just uninstall both of them if u want. also, have u got any antivirus or antispyware software allready? if u have can u plz tell me which one? it might help just to keep any presently installed antivirus /antispyware for the time of reinstalling my way search then install spyware blaster to scan ur computer for spyware. but first just uninstall everything you can off the computer. I also REALLY recommend a new hard drive. very cheap nowadays just get thm off comets, pc world, or any computer/electronic store.
Also do u use the modem thing at all? if u don't then just uninstall it otherwise keep it.
I'm not naging but it's best if u just get a new hdd and when u've done that just transfer all the data on the old drive and tada!!
However, if u're happy with ur hard drive size then use a good defragmenter to defrag your comp cause a fragmented hard means a REALLY slow comp!

if you know a little about registry you can search there to remove the un-removable
then just delete the program files and setup files
there are free utilitys to remove from the remove programs interface
some uninstallers not MS will remove all this junk
if machine is real bad and ther's not a lot on it I would do a delete reformat re-install

FYI- Dell put My Way Search Assistant on their systems. I recently downloaded and installed the Windows Installer Clean-up tool and got rid of these 'left over' entries on the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

1. Adobe Atmosphere Player for Acrobat and Adobe Reader- remove
2. Adobe Flash Player ActiveX- leave
3. Apple Software Update- remove
4. Broadcom Management Programs- Dell internal wireless- Leave
5. Broadjump Client Foundations (I have attempted to uninstall this, but It ended up uninstalling my Internet Call Waiting, which I need)
6. Dell Digital Jukebox Driver- remove
7. Dell Driver Reset Tool: an application that will scan the system for malfunctioning drivers and reset such drivers to the original drivers available in the system. Remove
8. Modem Event Monitor: Remove
9. Modem Helper- Leave
10.Modem on Hold: Modem on Hold allows you to put your internet connection on hold while you take or make a telephone call. Modem on Hold enables "broadband-like" voice and data services over the same telephone lines, at a much more reasonable dial-up price.- you may need this
11. My Way Search Assistant: Dell put this on. Dell said there was nothing untoward about My Way Search Assistant, despite complaints from customers that the toolbar impairs computer performance, changes browser settings and is difficult to remove. However anti-spyware firm Sunbelt Software defines My Way components as a ‘potential privacy risk’ that pose a moderate threat to users. Remove

well that's totally and utterely stupid... how can they put KNOWN spyware on their own computers?? Probably some mony making scheme.

1. Adobe Atmosphere Player for Acrobat and Adobe Reader- remove

What is that? As long as it won't hinder me from reading pdf's, im fine.

Attached is the stuff under CCleaners add/remove programs list.

I don't know any of these, I took out all the ones I know.

Attachments

• install.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 6
The Adobe Reader 'reads' PDF documents. But I have found it also bloats the system. I uninstalled it and use the Foxit Reader. I can do everything I did with Adobe without the bloat!

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Adobe Atmosphere (abbreviated Atmo) is a 3D computer graphics creation product originally developed by Attitude Software. In November 1999, Adobe Systems purchased the technology. Adobe released its last version of Atmosphere, version 1.0 build 216, in February 2004, then discontinued the software in December 2004. The product spent the majority of its lifetime in beta testing. (From Wiki)

As for Dell and "how can they put KNOWN spyware on their own computers?" I guess it depends on how broadly they define 'spyware'! My definition of spyware is anything put on my system without my knowledge and permission that can in any way intrude on my privacy or the safety of my system.

mopar, I don't mind point you in the right direction, but I'll be damned if I'm going to check out every listing in Add/Remove Programs! The entries are there either because you downloaded and installed them, because you didn't uninstall them or because they came in with something you did install!

UNCHECK the 'show updates' at the top and then deal with the rest. You have multiple HP programs listed. You have multiple media players. You have multiple imaging entries. Do you need them? I don't know. Put each in a search and find out what they are!

Merry Christmas!

1. The first thing to do is click the Start menu, Programs. Then hunt for the program you want to delete. Oftentimes, you'll find an Uninstall program under it's program group.
2. Another way would be to click the Start button, Settings, Control Panel. Then open the Add/Remove programs icon. You'll see a list of programs that Windows can remove from your system. Just click the one you would like to remove and hit the OK button.
3. If neither of the above work, you can always go to the program's folder and delete it. However, there is no guarantee that the program was confined to that folder. It could have other files distributed throughout your computer.
Keep in mind that some of the files that get placed on your hard drive when you install a program are basically updates to some of your existing files. So if you are uninstalling something and get a message saying not all the files from a program could be removed, it may be due to the fact that other programs also use these files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back