I need to get my Grub loader back

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadro

I just reformatted the XP partition and lost the Linux Red Hat 9 Grub boot loader. Any easy way i can get it back??? I cant boot into Linux no more :(. Reply to me as i am a noob at Linux. Thank you

Grub installs on some flavors during install...assuming its either on the super Block or the MBR?

more info is needed.

uh....ok??? but anyway......there was no /boot partition installed so i assume the loader was in the MBR. I heard there was a way to recover the loader using the boot disk i made. Do you know the commands?

You put the floppy in and boot into linux. It should boot nicely into the graphic environment.

Look in /boot/grub/menu.lst file. If you see an entry for your Windows there then Grub was in the MBR or even if it wasn't, you will still be able to get into Windows after you install Grub. Use the grub-install command to put Grub back. It should be sth like "grub-install /dev/hda".

DO i enter the grun-install/dev/hda commands at the Terminal Prompt (bash) or do i do them after the boot disk is loaded?

1>Method One - Boot from Installation CD

boot from the linux CD.

type this at the boot prompt:

linux rescue

use the ensuing rescue procedure to get to a command line, with your / mounted, say as /mnt/rescue

then say this:

chroot /mnt/rescue

now your / on your HDD is mounted as / and not /mnt/rescue (formerly, / was the root of the RAM drive your CD boot sets up.)

Now, type this:

/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

now this

exit

exit

and reboot.

2> Method 2 - Boot from rescue floppy

once the floppy is booted, and you have logged in:

/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

now reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.