I need to know how to plug in the power switch on the front panel of my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have the first of my basic questions. I am working on replacing the motherboard of my computer and I ahve been able to just remove the things from the old one and put them back on the new one but the double row of 10 pins (actually 9 on one row) has different wording and stuff than the old one and I am not sure which pins to plug in the power switch on. The computer itself is an Enpower with an AMD Athlon processor. The new motherboard is a Compaq Part # 227954-002 or 2207610-102. Also called QUIK SILVER motherboard. I was told that any SOCKET A 462 motherboard would work so I am hoping it is compatible. Everythign seems to switch over just fine as long as I can figure out how to plug in the turn on switch. I will probably have a bunch more questions after I get that one solved but for now I can't come up with any more questions because I can't turn it on :confused: :haha: Hopefully someone out there in cyberspace will know how to help me. I spent an hour on line chatting with two of the HP Support people with only some results. But not everything. We managed to figure out which LEDs went where but not the power switch. I could manage without the LEDs ;)
Thanks! Lauralee

The power switch and reset do nothing but short two pins for the time you hold the button down, so wire orientation doesn't matter. Which pins you have to short? You need the motherboard manual or decipher the writings near the pins.

Hi, Thanks for your quick response! I don't have thye manual for the motherboard or computer either one but I did get onto my old computer and draw a picture of the piece of the motherboard where the pins are and also one of the plugs with their wires and labels. If that is enough info that you would be able to decypher it and let me know which ones would go where, I would be so greatful! If you don't know, maybe someone out there would. I have attached the two pictures to this message.
Thanks, Lauralee

Attachments

• plugs.bmp
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
  • computer wires.bmp
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
You need the mother board specs are schematics... and they are available by download... once you enter the motherboard number into a Google search.

Hi again,
I have tried a search for the manual or specs for this particular motherboard on google, yahoo and msn with no luck. That's kind of why I was hoping someone here would know the answer to what I need. If anyone out there knows of a site that has download specs for this motherboard or a manual I can download, I would love to have the link to that site.
Thanks, Lauralee

Perhaps you don't have the correct identification of the board... a compaq part number is NOT the motherboard ID, and you posted two different numbers. Suggest you pull your board, and give us the info on the chipset or largest chips, as well as all the identification codes in white along the edges of the board.

So the picture of the pins you gave us was from the old motherboard? That's sort of useless :)

Oh,My......

Do I take it to mean that the new motherboard doesn't have usage & polarity markings right on the board next to the socket pins?
Why does the search term computer motherboard "quick silver" return a search result for a Mac G-4?
Try rooting around this site: http://www.motherboards.org/ other forums say they might be able to help Identifying your board.

Ahhhhh, hehe! I didn't mean I got into the insides of my old computer but I got inot the paint program on my old computer and drew a picture of the new motherboard and what the pins look like and the words on them. I also drew the picture of the wires and plugs in the computer case that need to plug onto the pins. Sorry if that was a bit confusing. :eek:
I will take out the motherboard again and check for all the identification marks etc. to make sure I have the right ones to put into a search. but probably not today since I have to go to the dentist today. :eek: But as soon as I have that info I will write back and let you know if I managed to get this figured out or not. I will go to that website too and see if that helps.
Thanks for all the info! Lauralee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back