I saw a REAL hockey game last night

somekid007

With all those stupid rule changes in the NHL, last night was the first time in a while that I saw a REAL hockey game. Boy, was it ever. Philedelphia Flyers vs Ottawa Senators, two of the top teams in the league with a bad history because Ottawa forward Martin Havlat hit Mark Recchi in the face last week. The last 1:45 was a beauty. It all started when tough guys Rob Ray and Donald Brashear began scrapping and then all hell broke loose. Everyone on the ice started fighting, even the goalies Patrick Lalime (IMO the sissiest goalie in the league) and Robert Esche. Once they sorted that out, right after the faceoff Michael Handzus went after Fisher and it started again. Sorted that out. Next faceoff, scrapping again starting with Recchi fighting Smolinski. Must have been at least 2 dozen fights last night. All capped off with a fight u rarely see : Patrick Sharp vs. Jason Spezza. Apparently it took officials 90 minutes to sort out the 419 penalty minutes (a new record btw). Its good to see a game like that once in a while, just dunno when another game like that will ever happen. Anyway, the Tampa Bay Lightning won YET AGAIN, they are unstoppable, especially Martin St Louis.

And now we have someone with a broken neck from a cheap shot - the media will have a FIELD DAY with this now - and talk about banning fighting is going to start up again...

I don't know why its allowed anyway. But I don't watch the sport.
Just seems to me that if you want to fight in a sport, then get into boxing. Fighting has nothing to do with the playing abilities of athletes involved in their respective sports (aside from boxing of course).

the guy who gave that cheap shot is an all-star player too (no not for fighting or that cheap hit). now his career is in the balance. what an *****!

hehehe somekid007, almost every team hates the senators.

LoL, nah...

Was closer to BloodBowl. Saw Blade for the x^nth time.
Oh, and finding nemo for the first time. What an incredible movie!

Yeh Finding Nemo is awesome, as well as other Pixar favorites such as Toy Story and Toy Story 2.

But back on topic - I'm suprised no hardcore hockey fans have attacked my questioning of why fights are allowed at all.

It's money.....straight up! The fans like a little action now and then. Don't know if you've ever been to a pro game but the atmosphere is something else....electric. Yes, it's great to see finesse plays by top players (Yzerman comes to mind :D ) but the occasional fight is fun also....rarely bloody until some ***** goes over the line. Just a matter of turf-protecting really. Protecting smaller teammates(read talented) from larger players.

been to a couple canucks game, really liked them until they hired that ***** brian burke. had a #1 and #3 picks in '99, could have gotten a good scorer in martin havlat and a good goalie in brian finley or maybe even ilya kovalchuk, but instead got those two *****s named sedin

Back