I screwed up, and now i need some help, Please?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenni3587

I was reading the thread on the site that was posted by Spike. It had all these nifty things to help you make windows more secure. I came to one that was to change the administrator's name so that it would confuse hackers and such, so i did everything that was said to do. I changed the user name, not the full name, cause it said it would screw my computer up if i changed the full name.

I noted that there was another line under it that said "User" and to the right of it, it said, "administrators".....i thought there was a mistake so i clicked on it, like i had done to the administrator one before, and i changed the username from "user" to my name "Jenni". I thought it was harmless.

Well! I guess NOT? I went to control panel afterwards and clicked on "user accounts" a box popped up saying "the current user account is not recognized. Restart the computer and then open user accounts."

Now, i am afraid to restart the computer because it said in the tutorial that if done wrong i could loose all my stuff and would have to reformat windows which i would really like to not do, and avoid.

So i went back to what i had changed to change it back from "Jenni" to "User" and it was GONE! So, i dont know what to do and i would really like some help, please!

My computer will remain not restarted until i hear back from someone who could help. Thanks, all.

:/

i just tried that i when i went to click on user accounts it gave me that same box again telling me to restart.

Can you change the administators name back to what it was originally ? Then you could just log off,and logon as administrator.Then add a User account.I may be talking complete **** here.So best wait for confirmation from someone else.

changing the account name is not the same as changing the users directory.
when changing the login name, the users directory will stay the same.
it's complicated to make the directory name change to be the same as the new user-id. I don't recommmend the effort.

"Are you feeling lucky punk ? "

I bet you $7 that if you go back to where you changed the administrators name,and change it back to administrator(just to be safe),and then restarted your computer,either in normal mode(if possible),or SAFE MODE http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml ,you`ll able to get back in as administrator.Hopefully,it`ll log you straight in normally.It`s IMPORTANT to know how to get into SAFE MODE before you restart.

If you can SAFE BOOT, then just create a NEW ACCOUNT and assign it
to ADMINSTRATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back