I think I found out why my computer was crashing <----

Status
Not open for further replies.

starvista9

I restored the system to bare bones. I only installed Norton Firewall and Norton Antivirus 2005 thats it. I DID NOT get the "Critical Updates" via Windows Update. My PC is stable at the moment with out all the critical updates.

I think one or a few of the critical updates are causing my computer to crash. My computer crashed "when" I had Service Pack 2, so I think the cause of my computer crashing was a Windows Hot Fix or a critical update.

I searched Microsoft.com for answers, but I had no luck. This has to be the problem. Everything worked fine a week ago until I ran Windows update, then my PC starting resetting and crashing. The error report said it was a "Device Driver" which caused the problem, but it wasn't.

I found this out because yesterday I reinstalled XP from the "Restore CDs that came with my computer. BEFORE I installed any other programs I ran "Windows Update and downloaded everything "Microsoft said was Critical". I restart my PC and 10 minutes later it restarts on its own saying it was a device driver. So thats why I think its one or a few of the "REcent Updates".

My Important Question is, How do I find out what update is causing this problem ?

My only quess is to "Create a Restore Point" before any updates then download one update at a time and let my computer sit idle for an hour or so. Yes this does seem Tedious , but its my only idea.

If anyone has any other suggestion I would be greatful.
Thanks in Advance

My only quess is to "Create a Restore Point" before any updates then download one update at a time and let my computer sit idle for an hour or so. Yes this does seem Tedious , but its my only idea....Quote by Star...

You are correct,but I would continue to work my machine for a couple of days before creating a new restore point and the next update.You may not access the faulty item by letting it Idle.

Also realize the lesson in all of this .
Had you created a restore point before Ser Pak 2............
This is an important lesson for us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back