I think i have a decent build... please rate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, for the sound card, try to look for something from Creative Labs (SB Audigy), they should be considerably better.

I myself have conisdered purchasing that CX-550B power supply, but after more research, Coolmax is not such a good brand. Try to look for something else.

Also, increase the size of the hard drive by a bit. Hard drives sell for low $$ nowadays anyway.

And finally, that CPU fan is not compatible with the LGA775 socket of your Core 2 Duo. You should look for something else, or stick with the stock HSF until you absolutely need a replacement.

Good luck with your build :)

Yikes. Stay away from Aspire.

Go here to calculate your watt requirement: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
And get yourself a psu from FSB. At the low budget end, they usually can't be beat.

What about your RAM? (don't see any listed)

Also, do yourself a favor and get a good surge protector. You're spending hundreds on a good system, spend a few more bucks to protect it.

oh lol i completely forgot the ram. Is this good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4045&ATT=20-134-045&CMP=OTC-pricegrabbermerch

I'm sorry for all the trouble but this will be my first build and i don't' want to mess up I have about a hundred things in various folders over computer parts and stuff in my Firefox bookmarks.

DonNagual when you said stay away from Aspire... does that mean the case too because i think the case is aspire. do you know a better one?

And Wolfram that 450W psu says something about PCI express on the name... what does that mean? does it need the slot?

cjmagnum said:
oh lol i completely forgot the ram. Is this good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4045&ATT=20-134-045&CMP=OTC-pricegrabbermerch

I'm sorry for all the trouble but this will be my first build and i don't' want to mess up I have about a hundred things in various folders over computer parts and stuff in my Firefox bookmarks.

DonNagual when you said stay away from Aspire... does that mean the case too because i think the case is aspire. do you know a better one?

And Wolfram that 450W psu says something about PCI express on the name... what does that mean? does it need the slot?

Download a manual for the motherboard you picked out and it should list recommended Memory for it (mobo).

Aspire case's are fine (if you like their look), it is their PSUs that are evil. If you like that case, then go for it :)

I personally prefer a case with more metal than plastic in it, but that bumps the price up considerably. This case is relatively high quality, but maybe not flashy enough or cheap enough for you? This is the one I have (and the price includes a fairly good quality PSU).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129155

cjmagnum said:

That 450W PSU has a PCI-E power connector, to power PCI-E graphics cards. It doesn't need a PCI-E to work, so don't worry.

And that RAM looks very good, cheap, fast, reliable.

Regards :wave:

BTW, this case looks great! Also, has great cooling, and supports large, quiet 120mm fans. And it has great CoolerMaster quality, and is cheap :)

thanks guys, i guess i have a bit more research to do before i can get committed but I'll still take advice on what to get I will take all the advice on components that i can get. Do any of you know a good DVD/CD rom player? the one i have on the first post is out of stock and i don't really know what to look for in them. I got that one from advice from someone else.

cjmagnum said:
what does OEM mean? isn't it used or something?

No, it's completely new. It just doesn't come with a retail box or any accessories. Just the drive only.

Just a note, if you get ram make sure you're either getting two identical sticks or a two stick "dual channel" kit of memory, so you can have dual channel, which is faster. Not that one stick won't work, but having matched pairs is faster.
I'd consider a kit like this if I was in the market, due to their price, and high performance.

You also mention needing a dvd-rw.
I like my benq 1655 drive, but this drive seems to be a good value right now.

Edit: I'm not sure if you're still looking at the x-plorer case, but if you are, I might advise against it. My main problem with it is that it doesn't appear to have very good cooling, only a few 80mm fans. I prefer cases with at least one 120mm fan, so it has better airflow.

CPU HSF go with one of these:
Scythe Ninja/Ninja Plus
Scythe Infinity
Tuniq Tower
Tt Big Typhoon

memory is not listed...get DDR 800 (Gskill 2GBPK is alright for the price)
go with a gigabyte DS3 so that you can oc the heck out of it.

with your current setup i'd rate it 6/10 for C2D, 8/10 compared to K8.

btw: never had any probs with NEC-3520a or 3550 for DVD drives... plus they're cheap and availible.

do you have to buy different kind of fans to put out hot air? or can fans work by putting cool air in and hot air out?

A fan can be used for either intake or exhaust, it just depends on which way you mount the fan in the case. Usually cases have a front fan that is blowing into the case(intake), a side panel fan that is blowing into the case(intake), and a rear panel fan that is blowing out of the case(exhaust). Almost all case fans can be used in either way(intake or exhaust).

That case looks pretty good. It has two 120mm fans included instead of 2 80mm fans. It will cool much better. It also has a mount for a third front panel(intake) fan, which I would put another 120mm fan in.

When looking for fans I usually decide which type of connector I want, either the 3 pin motherboard header, or the 4 pin power supply molex plug. Once I've narrowed that down, I try to find one that has pretty good airflow(cfm), but is still quiet(>30dB). Sometimes though I'll just get a really loud high output fan, and buy a 5.25" bay mounted fan speed controller, and then adjust the fan speed to my liking. Just a note, if you want to use a fan controller, most use the 3pin connector. Some fans have both 3 and 4 pin connectors.

Best wishes.
vnf4ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back