I think i have found a cheap gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibuypower is a well known company. That is the 3rd company I had heard of (myself) to offer gaming computers. Though I still say the better option is to build it yourself, you should do what you feel comfortable with.

Though don't get the 8400, its not really a good gaming card at all from benchmarks. I'd go for an 8600 or better if you are really wanting to game (even oblivion runs VERY bad maxed out on the 8400, though if you want low settings the 8400 may be ok).

Also, I'd try to spend the extra 76 bucks on the black edition 5000+ processor, though I am more of an intel person at the time.

do you think that the [== Black Edition ==] AMD Athlon™64 X2 5000+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology is better that the
AMD Athlon™64 X2 5200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology because the second one is cheaper

the list on that link doesn't really matter if the video card you choose sucks.

So pick wisely : D
it will either be a "cheap" PC or a real gaming PC, and cheap PC would really mean what the name said lol :S

I'd say it depends whether you tend to overclock. Black Editions are unlocked, so that you can overclock (or at least better), so if you want stock performance with stock cooling then I'd go with the second one. If you want to be able to OC, then I'd hit the Black Edition. Also, what games do you want to play and on what setting?

Well it doesn't matter to me weather i have it on a low setting and I'm not sure what games i want to play i know that i will play San Andreas but i don't think that has very high requirements but i will probably play many more shooting games umm so I'm not completely sure what games i will play but it doesn't matter if i have to play them on the lowest settings as long as its still possible for me to play them. but in all I'm not sure which games i want to play.

Well, that looks like a pretty decent deal, it looks cheaper to order it through them than to put it together yourself, as long as they don't charge a fee to put it together and install all the software.

I would do that if I wasn't interested in building my own. I would have gone with the higher end stuff though. ><

mopar man said:
(even oblivion runs VERY bad maxed out on the 8400...)
"Even Oblivion runs badly...?" My 8800GTS 512 still gets lag spikes when Oblivion is running on max, especially when any form of transparency AA is enabled. Lol, just seems that it would be assumed that Oblivion would run poorly on anything below the high-end...

But whatever you do in buying that PC, make sure you get something better than an 8400.

Well i don't think i want to pay $65 more for that video card. Is the 8500gt 256mb ok? because i would be fine with just running everything on the lowest settings if it means i only have to pay an extra $15.

well when i looked at that it didn't look like their was much of a difference between the 8400 and the 8500 which should i go with? or did that jest not say very much? or am i jest to dumb to tell?

I know this is older equipment BUT it's still very good equipment. All you'd need was a hard drive, case, power supply and an NVIDIA video card or two.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Athlon-64-X2-44...yZ140075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It comes with a DFI motherboard, 4GB of OCZ PC3200 memory, AMD Athlon 64 4400+ X2 processor, Creative Audigy2 ZS and Windows XP Pro 64 bit and Vista. The motherboard is one of the best over clockers ever made. The processor should be easily over clocked to 2.6-2.8GHz with the right memory but the OCZ stuff isn't it, and the Audigy2 ZS isn't a bad sound card at all.

umm i don't think i want to buy from e bay or place components into it myself. so back to the point should i get the 8400gt 512mb or the 8500gt 256mb because i don't know which one is better you have to remember i probably don't even know half as much as the rest of you probably not even an 8th as much so i would like to know which one i should go with?

Condor said:
the list on that link doesn't really matter if the video card you choose sucks.

So pick wisely : D
it will either be a "cheap" PC or a real gaming PC, and cheap PC would really mean what the name said lol :S

Well i guess it will jest end up being a cheap pc but at least it should be better than something from dell for the same price right?

if you have to choose between the 8400 and the 8500.
go with the 8500,

8400 is a 64-bit video card
8500 is a 128-bit video card
that is the biggest difference.

the 128-bit 8500 can send 2x the info in the same time it takes the 64-bit 8400

and only a 20-30 dollar price difference.

as the above posters have been saying, the 8400 is not a gaming card. no 64-bit video card will perform well on any newer games when compared to a 128-bit or higher card.

tastegw said:
if you have to choose between the 8400 and the 8500.
go with the 8500,

8400 is a 64-bit video card
8500 is a 128-bit video card
that is the biggest difference.

the 128-bit 8500 can send 2x the info in the same time it takes the 64-bit 8400

and only a 20-30 dollar price difference..

That is what I was shooting for with my post.

IMO, buy this barebones PC, tell TigerDirect to throw in this video card (or this one, if that stretches your budget too much), plus Windows XP Pro and you'd be ready to go. The RAM is a bit low, but if you go with XP it'd be okay I reckon.

I would have to go with a custom computer from Newegg with a 6400+ AMD CPU (the black box edition costs LESS than otherwise, being it has not fan/heatsink) and a good Zalman fan/heatsink, along with probably a single 8600. Also, my M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo has a built-in 5.1 surround sound card, along with S/PDIF Coaxial and Digital. 2GB of RAM should be good, but don't get more unless you plan on getting Vista x64 or XP x64. As well, get at least a 500GB hdd. The DVD/CD drive depends on what you want to do, but I advise getting at least a single DVD recorder.

ferrari24 said:
I would have to go with a custom computer from Newegg with a 6400+ AMD CPU (the black box edition costs LESS than otherwise, being it has not fan/heatsink) and a good Zalman fan/heatsink, along with probably a single 8600. Also, my M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo has a built-in 5.1 surround sound card, along with S/PDIF Coaxial and Digital. 2GB of RAM should be good, but don't get more unless you plan on getting Vista x64 or XP x64. As well, get at least a 500GB hdd. The DVD/CD drive depends on what you want to do, but I advise getting at least a single DVD recorder.

i think this guy has a $400 budget. that cpu alone is $175+ and that 500gb HD isnt cheap either. that mobo is $135.

this wouldnt leave him with anyroom to buy the memory, video card, case, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back