I think i may have a problem with my video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duderbot

Okay so essentially i have bars going up and down my screen. The thing is they only appear when i start using programs (like ie, warcraft3, other games). I hooked up another monitor to my computer and still had the bars on the screen. Any suggestions on how to find out what my problem(s) is and if the it can be fixed?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I suggest you check your video card for overheating. Open your case and make sure your video card is dust free. Also, make sure any fan it has is running properly.

Try aiming a deskfan into your case and see if the problem goes away or becomes less severe. If it does, then overheating is the cause.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I guess the next thing to check before assuming your graphics card is toast is to check your PSU.

Have a look in your bios and see what it is reporting for the voltages on the +3.3v, +5v and +12v rails.

May as well post your system specs as well.

looked in bios and wasnt able to find what you were talking about(i'm not all that great with computers)
i have:
Windows Xp Home (SP2)
Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz
ATI radeon 9700 w/tv-out graphic card
256 mb ram

if anything else is needed lemme know

Card is more than likely overheating!

I think that the other memebers of this forum are right. Your card is most likely overheating. Check to make sure your fan on your graphics card is operational. This is my guess as long as you have not moded your bios or card in any way. Keep us updated so we can help you out!

Hmm, u have one of the few Dells that came with RDRAM. Did u check the video card out by opening the case? Those bars u get onscreen are called artifacts and usually indicate overheating and/or a dying PSU/video card.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Hmm, u have one of the few Dells that came with RDRAM. Did u check the video card out by opening the case? Those bars u get onscreen are called artifacts and usually indicate overheating and/or a dying PSU/video card.

the fan on the card is running. I dunno if it matters but when i boot up i seen the same kinda designs i get going down my screen on the icons on my desktop. usually takes a bit for the bars to actually show up on my screen. also when i dled speed fan and ran it it only displays the fan for the hard drive i believe so maybe the fan on my card isnt runniong fast enough?

Rage_3K_Moiz said:

how do i go about finding out which is messed up, and where would be the best place to get replacements(s)?

Well, the easiest way would be to get another similar (or the same if possible) video card and PSU from somewhere if possible and stick it in ur PC. If the problem persists, then it's likely a problem with ur mobo, since AGP slots can get messed up pretty bad too.

so apparently if i disable all 3d accelerations i dont get the lines down my screen... so i'm going to assume my video card has **** the bed

Again, I would still check your voltages (using the speedfan software I link you to above) just to rule out a faulty PSU. When the 3D acceleration is on, it draws more power from the PSU and this MAY be the cause of your problems.

High chance you have a dead graphics card, but why not rule out everything else first?

DonNagual said:
Again, I would still check your voltages (using the speedfan software I link you to above) just to rule out a faulty PSU. When the 3D acceleration is on, it draws more power from the PSU and this MAY be the cause of your problems.

High chance you have a dead graphics card, but why not rule out everything else first?

nothing comes up on the voltages tab its just blank.

Probably just that his motherboard's sensors are not supported by speedfan so it can not report the voltages.

You'll have to either buy a voltmeter to test your PSU, or use another PSU in your system as a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back