Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I recently bought a cheap(ish) mid-range PC:

AMD 64 3500+ (Venice)
1GB Mushkin DDR400 2-3-2-6 (2x512-DC)
Asus A8N-E
XFX 6600 512MB XT

What I want to know is why on stock speeds, my cpu and m/b temps idled about 37-38c each, but when I overclocked CPU to 240fsb (Still with 11x multi and 1:1 ratio with ram [DDR480]) So obviously 2.64Ghz from stock 2.2Ghz. Why has my idle temp dropped to 33/34c on both? When under high temp stress with 20mins on Prime95, stock and o/c temps both are about 48-50c Could this mean there is something wrong with my thermistors? I'm kinda worried cause if there is, My CPU could be chugging along at like 80c lol (I Hope Not).

P.S. O/C is pretty reliable...5 Passes on memtest86, Superpi passes everything and Prime95 went fine a day straight.

Thanks in Advance

You can try touching the heatsink when your temp gauges are pointing to 48-50c. If its so hot that it burns you or is painful, then your gauges are far off. If its hot but not painful, its likely they are accurate.

Why you would see a decrease in temperature I'm uncertain. Perhaps you have very good air cooling that ramps up to max when you OC and cools it down, where at normal speeds they slow down to limit noise and do less efficient cooling. (completely speculative)

what temps are you getting in your bios?

Programs can often have a sensor coflict and report off temps. But normally it is wayyy off (2343 degrees)

Cool

Thanks for the reply, damn u guys are fast lol.

Yeah, i tried touching heatsink already, just feels warm (amd stock heatsink). Bios temps exactly the same, so I guess I should be ok for now. I got quite a good air-flow in my case so I can't really tell if it's warming up the inside.

Thanks again for the replies and I hope my new PC don't melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back