I want a graphic/video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanimefanx

I play games like The Sims2 and Age of Empires 3 and my computer does not really have good enough graphics when playing games and viewing videos and pictures i have a

microsoft windows xp media center edition version 2002 service pack 2
gateway 830GM
Intel pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz 3.00 ghz, 0.99 gb of RAM
200 GB SATA HARD DRIVE
INTEL GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELARATOR 900
available pci-express at x16 slot
double layer 16x
multi- format DVD+/-RW
& 16X dvd-rom drives

3 fire wire, 7 usb ports

digital memory card reader 8 in 1

please someone i need a new graphic/video card thing to play games what do you recomment

What does the label on your power supply say as to brand, model, and wattage? What amount of memory is installed? Does it have integrated video on the motherboard, or a weaker video card now?
That machine will handle a pretty good video card, but not the top end models, because the power supply is not designed for the high tech units.... but it should still handle a number of second tier video cards by ATI or nVidia.

what power supply. and yes the Intel Graphics media accelarator 900 is weak when on age of empires three. but sims 2 i wish looked better also

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

Posted from the System Information

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FAMILYCOMPUTER
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model 830GM
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. AG91510J.15A.0816.2005.0214.1818, 2/14/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name FAMILYCOMPUTER\Owner
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 552.86 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Since you have a PCI Express slot open, you have a pretty large number of cards to choose from.

What’s your budget like? Are you looking at picking up resource demanding games in the future as well?

Answering questions like these can really narrow down the choices for your comp.

7900GS for sure.
I have one, its great! the X1950 is marginally better, but more expensive

No problem. I was just putting out the best bang for the buck cards available at this time. The OP's psu would be an issue though.

do you think 1GB and 200 gb sata hd is enough to use a graphic card. Do graphic cards require to buy more ram also?

kpo6969 said:
No problem. I was just putting out the best bang for the buck cards available at this time. The OP's psu would be an issue though.

I am glad someone noticed that. his power supply does deffinately need to be looked at.

power supply is located inside the tower itself (where you plug the power cable to the wall). To access it via opening the case (don't forget to unplug the power source first) and its usually on the top rear corner of your case. See my faq for more info.

Power supply is a complete unit, which you car partially see by looking at the top back of your desktop... where you see the fan blades. It is only accessible with the case unplugged, then opened. It may require as few as four screws, or as many as 12 to get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back