I want advice on basic security programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi experts,

I got help from this forum a lot. I actually removed viruses and spywares with just a simple basic steps you provided. (My software couldn't remove some malwares like those that can be cured by ComboFix.exe, VundoFix.exe, or VirtumundoBeGone.exe)

Now, I'm thinking changing my security programs but it's hard to find advice on what program is good to use or basic steps to secure my computer.

There are lots of programs out there but after a long time of depending on one program, I don't have any information.

If possible, could you one of experts introduce steps and programs that security newbie should follow or use? If I can find it in announcement instead of reply to this thread and see it updated from time to time, I'll be very appreciate it.

For example, I hope to see an announcement thread saying that

1. For newbies, first install this and this programs for basic security.
2. If you want real time system monitoring, such and such commercial programs are dependable.
3. Regular maintenence (like updates) can be done automatically in such such programs or by manually for such such programs.
4. Best recommendation is such such steps.
5. For additional security, such such programs are good. or such such regular action is good.

Thank you.

there are 3 programs out there that most of us use, these are:

they're all free and work pretty well as long as you keep them updated :)

as far as firewalls go you only really need the windows one, that should already be activated by windows but you can check by clicking on start and going into network connections (if it's xp you go on connect to > show all connections, if i remember correctly ;))

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

See below for a list of recommended programmes.

AVG free or Avast antivirus programmes.

Zonealarm Kerio or Comodo free firewall programmes.

Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ad-Aware se personal.

Spyware Blaster.

AVG Antispyware.

Ccleaner.

Since your system has been infected with malware, I suggest, just as a precaution, you do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of fociwm only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

HJT, ComboFix, AVG Spyware Log report.

Thank you very much.

In fact, I followed the step about a week ago and I found that all symptoms (hopefully) disappeared. So, I thought that I don't have to bother you. BUT, as a reply to your kindness, (and in fact, my system speed is half of original speed) I'm posting my scan result. Here they are as attachments.

cf) AVG Anti-rootkit didn't find anything today.

Thank you.

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 from HERE. Save it to your Desktop and extract it.

2. Download the attached avengerscript.txt and save it to your desktop

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by double clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Under "Script file to execute" choose "Load script from file".
Now click on the folder icon which will open a new window titled "open Script File"
navigate to the file you have just downloaded, click on it and press open
Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

5. Please attach the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply, as well as a fresh HJT and Combofix log.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of fociwm only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back