I want to add another Hard Drive to My Computer. PROBLEMS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP. I want to add a hard drive to my pc that has 98 on it. I want to reformat the 98 hard disk and use it as extra storage, but I cannot get XP to load when the 98 hard disk is installed. Thus, I cannot reformat the disk. At least with what I know. :confused: What should I do? :confused:

HDD Adding Help

Basiclly it is a common problem upon Xp users
you will need to put the extra drive into the slot and
pu it into the secoundary ( master,slave etc.)
and change it in setup.

sry can not be in much help anymore contact manufacturer if more problems.

Check the W98 harddisk. If it is UDMA 66 or 100 or 133, it can take the newer 80-wire IDE-cable. If UDMA 33 or lower, it still needs the older 40-wire cable.
If UDMA66+ and your XP-HD is also UDMA66+, check the jumpers on the rear of the disks. The XP must be set as Master or Master-with-slave and connected to the END of the IDE-cable, the W98 as Slave, connected in the middle of the cable.
If this fails, set both to Cable-Select.

If the UDMA-types don't match, attach the W98 to the same cable as your CD/DVD, where CD=master and HD=slave.

if you want to format the 98 hd then just slap the hard drive in the computer w/o xp and run fdisk with your 98 rescue floppy then once you have it formatted the way you want DO NOT load the 98 software...just put it in the xp as a slave(use the jumpers on the back of the drive)

from what I have read it is proferable to instal slave on the middle connector ,but only if you have issues
most times it does not matter
best to intsll on 2nd ide bus set it to slave set the cd or dvd to master
check to see if you xp is dos formatted or ntfs the slave drive should match

yes he has a valid point...if your xp is in NTFS then what i said will not work..well it shouldnt however if your xp is in FAT 32 or even FAT 16 it will work mighty well ;)

right but if you throw a fat 32 with a ntfs and the ntfs has the os on it i read that the second hard drive wouldnt be recognized

I'm afraid you are informed wrongly.
Any NTFS-installation can read/write any type of FAT.
NTFS is only available in NT, W2K, XP and W2K3.
ME, W98 and lower cannot natively read/write NTFS.
Using a special, free (non-MS) utility, they can then only READ NTFS.
With yet another (non-MS, expensive, paid for) utility they can then also write.

I have tried putting the 98 hdrive on the IDE channel with the xp; didn't work.

I have not tried putting it on the one with the cd drive; I will try that.

With the matter of formatting, the options that I had were kind of confusing. There were options to delete partitions, and such, but not to simply format. Please if you can, tell me what I should do to format the disk.

Thanks! I will be looking forward to more posts! :giddy:

Just had to put this here :hotbounce

all you need to format the hard drive is to get to a: prompt then if you want the drive to be bootable type "format c: /s" however if you want want to make it bootable just type format c: and it will format your c drive....if you have more than one partition and you want to format them all just put the driver letter where c is....also if you have many partitions and you want one big one just delete all of them and then create one dos partition(in win98 its the first option to create and the 3rd option to delete) then once you have it partitioned the way you want format it using the command i gave earlier

That seemed like what I was supposed to do, but it says that the drive cannot be formatted. Probably the reason for this is the absence of a partition. I will add a partition like you said and try again. By the way can I change the format from fat to ntfs. :cool:

Go to www.bootdisk.com and get the file to make a W98SE bootfloppy.
Then boot from that floppy (set BIOS to start from floppy first).
Run FDISK to partition (one or more partitions) that new HD first.
If you want to install XP, boot from the XP-CD, it will format it for you in NTFS (recommended) or FAT32.

And stop being so bloody lazy. All your questions have been answered many times already. Read some of the other posts about people wanting another HD!

Thanks to all of you

Thanks realblack stuff for repeating what wiscountryboy said. :bounce:
You didn't have to post if you did not want to. :knock:

Anyway, I got the drive working, and formatted the drive after I booted up XP with its built in formating tool. Now that the drive is on the IDE channel with the cd, the cd drive is no longer detected. Should I move the drive to the IDE channel with the XP drive? I will probably try this anyway to see what happens. I tried to edit the config in the bios, but the cd drive is not detected, when I try to add a secondary drive (Even though the hdisk drive is in the second slot on the channel).

There are no jumpers on anything(mb hdrive cd etc)

the new hard drive almost has to have jumpers....check the pic on this url it shows you where the jumpers are.....also try putting the hdrive on the other ide connector that the xp hdrive is on...just make sure you put the new hard drive on the slave connector(farthest one from the motherboard)

Yeah, uhh... Sorry I did not know what the jumpers looked like. :blush:

I was invisioning a red rectangle with little white switches. Again :blush:

Sorry for making you guys type so much. I think my problems have been solved.

Thanks so much.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Ohh and one more thing.. Thanks!

hey man no problem(im assuming ur a guy but if not make the needed corrections in this statement) thats what we are here for..... :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back