I want to be a webmaster

erwin1978

So I woke up this morning and had an epiphany of some sort: I think I'm ready to become a webmaster and start my own hamster website. Well maybe not, but I want to start something.

I want to start my own forum. That's the main motivation for this topic. I need suggestions on which web hosting providers I should look into? There's so many to choose from. Basically, my budget is somewhere near $5/month. Is that good? I don't know how much webspace I'll need to begin with. Also, what's the minimum monthly traffic limit I should consider given that it's a forum? Do texts cost that much?

Also, is it better to get a server running Linux, Windows, Apache or whatever? Does it really matter? What kinds of extra service should I also look into? Pop emails is not that important to me at this point.

That's about it for now. I hope you enjoy answering my questions as much as I'll enjoy reading them.

You can get webspace at www.powweb.com for $7.77/month with FREE setup.

You get 1GB (yes I said GB) of space.

5GB/bandwidth a DAY (this comes out to on average about 150GB of bandwith per month - and you won't get that kind of bandwidth for very cheap anywhere).

MySQL Database, SSL, PHP4, Perl5, Sendmail, SSI, cronjobs, cgi-bin
650 POP3/IMAP & SMTP accounts (so you can create 650 email addresses such as yourname@yourname.com)
24/7 FTP - 10 ftp users

more information here: http://www.powweb.com/webhosting.htm

It all depends on what you want to do and where your skills lie... if you know PHP or SQL... then get with a host that does it... if you want secure transactional type stuff then get with SSL. SMTP and POP3 are always good... as is FTP...

What do you want to do?

Good replies to this post...I'm actually starting to build mu music site and will check out pweweb..com...I appreciate the info...

Back