I want to know if my computer is clean yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Sky

My computer was almost destroyed recently because of an on slaught of hackers and malware. I did a good portion of the fixing myself before finding this place.

My problems ranged from a dissapering desktop and start bar to the inability to open any folder. I barely managed to run some antiviral programs. From that point on I downloaded a few more and ran them also.

I dissabled a few suspected dll's and deleted a mystery program that started with the word ice. When all things seemed back to normal other than my computer making the noise it normaly makes when it is doing heavy calculating or starting up during almost the entire time I had it on. Also I suffered form random slowing and unexplained memory usage.

So I downloaded AIM to talk to someone in hopes of getting things fixed and thats when I lost my sound and my ability to sign on to AIM and MSN live messenger programs. The best option I thought I had left was to do a backup. Although I couldn't because of a undescribed error.

After much work at attempting to purge my computer I found this site. I don't remember how and seeing on how my internet history is now blank I have nothing to jog my memory.
I followed the instruction thread that explains what to do before posting.

The avg program found several cookies which I deleted so when I got to needing to post a log it said I was clean. Also the root kit scanner for vista said I was clean.

Other than the fact that I still have no sound and I am getting several pings and many access attempts directed at my computer every day my computer seems fine after running Crap Cleaner with EVERYTHING but old prefech data clicked and after running combo fix.

I destroyed my old computer trying to save it from Smitfraud. So I think I will leave the loose threads up to you guys. Thank you very much in advanced for your help.

Also I would like to know a way to save my internet history so when I clear it with CCleaner (by accident or not) I can replace it good as new. I would also like to know of a way to make my computer untraceable so I wont have to worry about anyone going after my ip. I know hackers can do it but it involves using another persons computer. I am looking for a way that is legal and only involves my computer. As for the random dials and the people who already have my ip I guess I will have to put my faith in zone alarm.

Please state in Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions to not use the downloaded programs untill step 14. I didnt do everything quite in order. I ran them again just in case though.

First off I must say that at this point if you had that many problems that the best and only way to make sure you are clean is to wipe your hard drive and do a clean install... Simple as that. As far as being hidden, you can get a program called sandbox.. It will make you invisable on the net. If you have any more questions I am here... As far as backing up your favorites or history that is easy... First thig though is getting you clean. What do you want to do?

I want to make a copy of the things I have on to some CD's then start from scratch but I (I just got another person trying to get in my computer!) don't have any spare money right now so it will be a little while before I have 10 dollars to spend on them.

So for now how do I get sand box? What exactly will sand box do to keep me hidden? How good is it I guess is what I am trying to ask.

That and how do I create a copy of my internet history.

I changed my mind lets just do a clean install I don't know what problems were caused by the hackers and I don't want to find out. Is there any way to do a clean install without a disk of some kind? I dont have any cd's or dvd's that can record and I don't have a disk with an operating system on it.

First thing you need to do is find the product key for your operating system... Most times it is on your computer, in the back on a sticker.. It looks like this-
2006-04-26_072536_xp_key.jpg

If you can't find it, download this tool and it will find it for you http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

As far as a disk for your OS, I have a ton of them around and if you tell me which you need and send me a self addressed stamp envolope, I will send you one...

After you get going We will get you set up with sandbox...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back