Status
Not open for further replies.

puncrawcboi92

Overclocking a Athlon xp 2200+ (1.8Ghz)

I have a MSI KT2 Combo-L Mobo
1gig pc2100 memory

can anyone help?
Thanks in advance

well i would imagine you should start in your bios.

I would personally try raising your front side bus, but be carefull when you do this. The newer motherboards supported raising the bus by 1MHZ but i'm not sure for your motherboard. Also note where your cmos battery is on your motherboard so if you overclock beyond what your system can take the you can reset it. Also be very carefull, you CAN damage other peripherals by overclocking your computer

what if i lower my fsb and higher the multipliers?
right now my pc is at 267fsb by 6.5 multiplies = 1735.5
what if i change it 245fsb 8 multiplies = 1960

you want a good combination of oc'ing the fsb and multiplier, but tbh i think you'd be better off spending 60 bucks on a 2800 amd and oc'ing that up to 3200if thats what you wanted to do, and your ram is holding you back loads, 2100 is probly worth more in scrap metal!

what i'm basically trying to say is your flogging a nearly dead horse, but a nearly dead horse that could be back up to show condition for not a lot of dough.

And what cooling have you got in your case and on your cpu, i do hope your not doing it with stock stuff :\

puncrawcboi92 said:
what if i lower my fsb and higher the multipliers?
right now my pc is at 267fsb by 6.5 multiplies = 1735.5
what if i change it 245fsb 8 multiplies = 1960
You wanted increment proportionality. Higher multiplier increased processing power, higher bus-speed increased the data throughput for that increased processing power to use.

AthlonXP pipelines are only ~10 levels in depth, multiplier of 12 and above starts to lose efficiency gain drastically for the increment therefore you should avoid multiplier of 12 and above.

The best efficiency setting would be 10 to 11 multiplier with the highest synchronous FSB speed available.

However, if you have only applications which are only bandwidth limited rather than processing power limited, then highest bus-speed will always be best.

I don't know about your mobo, if it's an nFORCE with dual-channel you also can set the DDR memory processing cycle to 10 or 11 to match the processor for maximal dual-channel efficiency.

Will somone please tell me how much advantage there is by over clocking. Cause your taking a pretty big risk cause if you mess it up its fried.

just keep a constant check on temps, and run plenty of benchmark tests, ie prime, 3dmark etc, if these run fine then your in the clear, and bump that fsb :D

puncrawcboi92 said:
Overclocking a Athlon xp 2200+ (1.8Ghz)

I have a MSI KT2 Combo-L Mobo
1gig pc2100 memory

can anyone help?
Thanks in advance
I would not try OC'ing with this MoBo
MSI's are frought with problems..
RayJon said:
Will somone please tell me how much advantage there is by over clocking.
My humble opinion:
Computerz run on blue smoke, if you let it out it don't work any more :haha:

As long as you are aware of the risks, OC'ing can produce better and
faster performances from systems that we may otherwise have to pay many more $$'s for

I OCed my P4 2.4 to 3.0, but when I ran 3DMark2k3, it showed only a meagre increase of 50 points to somewhere around 3k....

teedee said:
you want a good combination of oc'ing the fsb and multiplier, but tbh i think you'd be better off spending 60 bucks on a 2800 amd and oc'ing that up to 3200if thats what you wanted to do, and your ram is holding you back loads, 2100 is probly worth more in scrap metal!

what i'm basically trying to say is your flogging a nearly dead horse, but a nearly dead horse that could be back up to show condition for not a lot of dough.

And what cooling have you got in your case and on your cpu, i do hope your not doing it with stock stuff :\
actually pc2100 is more than pc3200
my fan is a Cooler master XDream III

I have a amd 1000+, 712 memory, radeon 9200se, Winxp pro, what can i do to get better performance without spending money? (cuz im saving to buy a new motherboard)

-Cory

Here's something you can do to increase performance dramatically for free: get Linux

:haha:

with overclocking i've upped my 3dmark '01 (i have an old gfx card ti4200) score from 9000ish at stock to 12000 in it's current state!

i have a thermaltake silent boost on my cpu and a massive copper cpu heatsink thermal epoxied onto my gpu with a 12cm fan whacked on XD

The athlon 2600 is running 2300mhz
the graphics core is running at 350mhz (up from 250) and the memory is at 600 (up from 550) I really need some ram heatsinks! might cut up and old cpu hs and thermal epoxy them on too XD
My main memory is running at stock latencies 3-3-8 :/ as i bought it before i learnt the value of good ram!

Go a prob with bois

Never mind about the last comment

I got a new motherboard and chipset

Gigabyte k8 triton
with amd athlon 2800+

but heres my prob
It wont get passed the bois screen

It does the mem test sometimes but other then that its like it freezes

can you guys help me out please!

never Mind

Never mind I fix the problem. The cmos was being stupid so i jumped it and eveything works fine....now if i could just find that mouse :suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back