AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1Gb DDR RAM
160GB Seagate Hdd
1.44MB Fdd
LG 16x DVD Burner
LG 52X CD-r drive
ATI Radeon 9600 Sapphire Edition
Conexant V.92 56K Modem

I want to upgrade my board to a Neo4, and my ram to 2gb and my vc to a nvidia geforce 6800GS not to mention a dual core 4400+ but i want to know if the upgradfe are worth the price. Any input is appreciated. thanks

I think the X850XT is the same price as the 6800GS but has 16 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory so it's kinda better.

I guess it depends on how much cash you have sitting around. If you are on a budget, your board still has plenty of life left in it, and I'd say there is no need to rush into a motherboard upgrade.

Why are you feeling you need an upgrade? What do you use your computer for?

If you are playing games, then the only urgent upgrade you need is a video card.

Is your ram pc3200? Do you have two sticks of 512 in dual channel?

I think the X850XT is the same price as the 6800GS but has 16 pixel pipelines and 256-bit memory so it's kinda better.
I'd say 7600GT > X850XT > 6800GS

If you are into overclocking the X850XT is a good choice as you can really crank up the speeds on them. But the 7600GT (all three are about the same price) is pretty much the same performance, it does it using less power, runs cooler and has SM3.0.

i need to upgrade the board so i can get the new video card for pci-e. I want 2 gigs of ram so i can run vista well, and the dual core is because i do a lot of video encrypting as well as other things. i run lots of applictions. All of the upgrades are to help with performance, and because of vistas requirements, not to mention i am a computer freak who really likes to have the best things. :grinthumb :D

Your current board supports just about everything you are wanting to achieve. It would love to have 2Gigs of ram, it supports dual core CPUs. The only thing it can't do is take PCIe graphics, however AGP graphics are FAR from dead. For example, the 6800GS you are looking at is available in AGP version.

But, your last point above is one that can't be argued with. I am exactly the same way (have a look in my profile) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back