IBM HDD Failed.......AGAIN !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cucumber

After buying my HDD 8 months ago for £117, it has failed on me 4 times! First three times i thought i had killed it with static, but then it happened again last night, while is was playing CS:mad: I have had to download a program from the IBM website, which erases the boot sector, and the whole HDD and takes about 3hrs!

I've now found out that IBM HDD's are only supposed to be on for 8hrs per day, and mine was on for about 16 every day! This is really annoying, and im gonna have to get a new HDD because i dont want to have to do this every few months!

V.Unimpressed with IBM now:dead:

Where did you find out that IBM HDDs were only supposed to be on for 8 hours a day? Could you post a link?

I've used many IBM HDDs in the past, and whilst I will admit that they do generate a fair amount of heat, and that there have been scare stories in the computing media, I must admit that I've had little problem with these drives.

I still have, in addition to many Maxtor drives, an IBM deskstar in my machine. Touch wood its never failed so far.

If you are having so many component failures I would suggest that there is perhaps some other reason.

8 hrs? I'd also like to see that link. Good thing I don't use IBM drives, I would kill them in less than a week because my machine runs 24/7

From what I've read (news), the IBM technical whitepapers for the GXP120 supposedly state that the drives were designed to meet an 8 hour a day requirement, which IBM felt represented a good workload for home/work users. Actually, I'm not sure what the hour usage was (don't remember), but it was something simliar to 8. Judging by article I'm going to post, it is 11hrs/day. I will refer to it as 8 hours anyway.

However, IBM also stated in an article I read (Perhaps the register, don't remember) that this "8 hour a day limit" is not a limitiation of the drive. IBM says that 8 hour per day service time is a reflection of what they felt was adequate to serve most users needs and is a commonly used "standard" of some sort. I don't know much more than that. IBM continued to say that while the drive will mee the 8hr/day recommendation, the drives are actually designed to go far and beyond 8 hours a day.

Yes, I've heard an abnormal amount of people complain about IBM deskstar failures - So there's definitely something to it - But not all of the drives are lemons. The problem supposedly only affected the 75GXP, not the 60 or 120. I've also read that return rates were some 1% to 2% higher than the average RMA rate... Not a huge deal as many people make it out to be...

You may also want to note this article:
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-866602.html

It has such excerpts as:
....IDC analyst Dave Reinsel wasn't alarmed by the 333-hour measurement. Desktop drive reliability is typically measured with the assumption that the drive is on 60 percent of the time--somewhat higher than 46 percent of the time that 333 hours a month would mean. On laptops, the standard duty is 40 percent, and on servers, which usually use higher-end SCSI (small computer system interface) drives, it is 100 percent. ....

.....IBM will change the drive specifications as a result of the situation. "It has caused so much confusion that we are removing that data from our spec sheet".....

....The IBM drive reliability issue was exacerbated by problems with an earlier drive, the 75GXP, which was the subject of a class-action lawsuit brought against IBM in October alleging reliability problems.....

...."We did have some failures with it" Nguyen acknowledged, saying IBM changed its manufacturing process to improve the product. ...

& honors such use in it's warranty.

Originally posted by uncleel
www.MaximumPc.com June/02
IBM got into hot water with consumers when it published a spec sheet with "power on" ratings for it's popular 120GPX hard drives. The spec sheet suggested that the hard drives could be safely left on for a total of just 333 hours a month.

The (watch dog's) investigation has discovered that, despite the published "power on" spec, IBM designs & tests it's hard drives to withstand 24-hours-a-day use, & honors such use in it's warranty.

IBM has since redacted it's spec sheet to remove the inflamatory rating.

Hey guess what people, last night...happend again! :dead:

It now wont even recognise my HDD in BIOS <me gives up trying to fix it, and buys a shiney new Maxtor HDD> .... well shud be getting my new drive this weekend, until then ill have to put up with playing on my dads PC with the GF2 :(

Never......get....IBM, and i had stuck to the 11hrs per day thing :(

Wonder what im doing on Saturday morning...AGAIN:blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back