IBM Thinkpad R32 Hardware Malfunction help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this IBM thinkpad R32 three years ago. It was working well. A year ago, I replaced the original 30G hard drive with 80G one. one of the two usb hub was broken for more than one year. Also a year ago, the power button sometimes didn't work well. Sometimes, I needed to press the power button many times to start the laptop. Two months ago, when the laptop was running, it just died with the following message
*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
*** The system has halted ***
NMI: Channel Check / IOCHK

After that, this problem always appeared when the latop run for several minutes to several hours. First, I thought it was a virus, but I didn't find any virus using notron antivirus and lavasoft ad-aware and I also updated my bios to the newest version. Now the problem got worse, sometimes I cannot boot my laptop. Sometimes when I press the power button, it stopped at the first screen "Press F1 to enter BIOS setup", sometimes it stopped when window is booting up. I changed the BIOS backup battery and the problem persists. Can somebody please help me find out what the problem is. I am sure my hard drive is working fine because I can use it as a removable hard drive.

Thanks a lot

By the way, I also used the pc doc for windows to diagonise my laptop and everything is fine.
Thanks

Today when I played dvd movies, the keyboard died, but the movie still plays. Then I used usb mouse to restart the laptop. I really don't know where to start to find out the problem.
Please help

Could be your keyboard connector popped 'out'. With the laptop OFF, press hard on the "Y" key, underneath it is this connector. Then also press on both "Shift" keys at the same time, to ascertain that the keyboard is slotted in properly.
Did the laptop ever take a fall, and/or is the keyboard bezel/palmrest broken?

The laptop did not ever fall and the keyboard bezel is good. I took the keyboard off several times and I didn't see any problem with the keyboard connector to the motherboard. Are you talking about the connector to the motherboard?

No, I was referring to the connector at the bottom of the keyboard, that 'slots' into a receptacle that looks like a mini-scsi port.
Go to IBM/Lenovo website and get 'PC Doctor' for your particular laptop, then run it.

Thanks for your help. Is possible to fix the problem? I didn't find new PC Doctor in IBM/Lenovo website, but I have the original PC doctor installed in my laptop when I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back