IBM Thinkpad wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is confusing to me, I have a wireless network with two computers connected to it, I bought a laptop IBM Thinkpad 1300i series with a built in wireless adapter, the IBM wireless LAN client says I am connected to the network, it reads the mac address from the wireless router and shows the same amount of channels as the other computers, but under network and dial up connections it shows the adapter as unplugged. I ran winsockfix but it did not help, then I installed Wireless Network Ignition 2 and it showed that it could not find a wireless connection? Any advice would be gratefull.

If you are connected to the network can you ping another PC? Or ping something on the internet (www.google.com)?
Im also a lil confused! If you are connected to your network and are obtaining an IP address then there isn't really much else to worry about!

Shed some more light on the subject and i'll be happy to help :grinthumb

yes I admit its a little confusing. Let me try to shed some more light.
IBM Thinkpad 1300i series
Windows 2000 Srevice pack 4
No wired network adapters
only 1 built in wireless IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
Downloaded the only driver for this from IBM Lenovo Website
In Network and dialup connections there is only one icon: Local Area Connection
It says that the cable is unplugged
I downloaded and installed also from IBM Lenovo Website, the IBM Wireless Lan Client Manager. In it I setup the connection to my wireless router.
It showed that it was connected in the program and even gave the correct MAC address for the router.
Cannot Ping, still says that the only Local area connection is unplugged.
I Checked the wireless network icon in the control panel and the setup looks fine. When I disable the unplugged network the IBM Wireless LAN Client Manager shows that the connection has been lost.
Everything was working under winXP, however I prefer 2000.
I tried to release and renew the IP Adapter in command, but it says the cable is unplugged.

To add: I tried other drivers for the card but it was worse, then I plugged in my USB wireless adapter and the internet and everything worked through that like a charm.

You need to install the correct IBM/Lenovo drivers for your IBM HighRate card.
Plus you can get a whole slew of specific drivers for that laptop's OS from them as well.
Without those, the built-in wireless won't work.

Thanks but I only found 1 driver dedicated to the ThinkPad i Series 1300 1171-8XU with windows 2000, and that was what I tried, the other drivers were for the different model Thinkpads and they really had less of an effect, by this I mean the IBM Lan client manager would not even see my router let alone the mac address on it.

Added: Ok this laptop was originally shipped with windows 2000 when it first came out, so why does it not work now!

Found THE Solution:

Symptom
The 802.11b internal wireless ethernet on the ThinkPad i Series 1300 is not working in Microsoft Windows 2000. It works fine with the Microsoft Windows Me preload.

The network connection for the device will appear in the systray with a red X. It will give an error that says 'Network Cable Unplugged.' The Client Manager for the wireless ethernet may also be sluggish and erratic.

Affected configurations
Any machine type 1171 with the internal, wireless ethernet card and using Windows 2000 operating system.

Solution
This problem can be fixed by applying a Microsoft patch. The patch provides a new pcmcia.sys file and adds a registry key. This patch is included with the system.

For models that shipped with the Software Selection CD, the patch is included on the CD. For models that did not ship with a Software Selection CD, the patch is included on the hard disk drive in the C:\IBMTOOLS directory.

This is it, now all I have to do is find the patch. Thanks for all of you for your help, and shared in the confusion of this little problem.

IBM 1300 Thinkpad Wireless Win2K Enigma solution

Start regedit
go to:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters

Create the DWORD:

DisablePciToIsaRouting

Leave the value at "0" - which is the default.

Reboot the machine and it works wirelessly.

Byter

IBM ThinkPad I-Series Wireless Network Issue

Thanks but I only found 1 driver dedicated to the ThinkPad i Series 1300 1171-8XU with windows 2000, and that was what I tried, the other drivers were for the different model Thinkpads and they really had less of an effect, by this I mean the IBM Lan client manager would not even see my router let alone the mac address on it.

Added: Ok this laptop was originally shipped with windows 2000 when it first came out, so why does it not work now!

Found THE Solution:

Symptom
The 802.11b internal wireless ethernet on the ThinkPad i Series 1300 is not working in Microsoft Windows 2000. It works fine with the Microsoft Windows Me preload.

The network connection for the device will appear in the systray with a red X. It will give an error that says 'Network Cable Unplugged.' The Client Manager for the wireless ethernet may also be sluggish and erratic.

Affected configurations
Any machine type 1171 with the internal, wireless ethernet card and using Windows 2000 operating system.

Solution
This problem can be fixed by applying a Microsoft patch. The patch provides a new pcmcia.sys file and adds a registry key. This patch is included with the system.

For models that shipped with the Software Selection CD, the patch is included on the CD. For models that did not ship with a Software Selection CD, the patch is included on the hard disk drive in the C:\IBMTOOLS directory.

This is it, now all I have to do is find the patch. Thanks for all of you for your help, and shared in the confusion of this little problem.

Were you ever able to locate the patch to correct this problem? I have the same problem with my ThinkPad and so far have been unsuccessful in correcting the problem. I tried adding the registry key recommended by princebyter but have had no luck with it so far. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Hey there, its been a long time since this thread was first opened up, at least 2 years or so.
I still have the little guy, the keyboard connection broke, so be very carefull when removing the keyboard. I just got a replacment and have not had time to put it in yet.

The solution I am looking at now, is simply replacing the mini PCI wireless card with another one. You have to remove the keyboard to do this, but the solution is a simple one. I happen to have another wireless card that came from a T30, you can get them from ebay, and maybe kijiji. If you use a card that is NOT IBM I am not sure if the IBM patch cd will work with the I series thinkpads, but that is something to look into as well.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back