IDE Master, SATA Slave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question has been asked before on these boards, but I'm still having a problem. I have an IDE drive that I've used for years and recently received an SATA drive that I'd like to use as a secondary drive. I'm aware that SATA is indifferent to master/slave stuff. The drive isn't recognized anywhere in the BIOS, nor in Windows (Device manager, Disk manager = nada. Although an SCSI Device does show up under disk drives or whatever in the device manager.) I installed RAID controller drivers because I honestly can't find any SATA drivers and it seemed to do nothing. Can't find any SATA related options in my BIOS. I've tried using the primary and secondary SATA ports. Can't find any jumpers on my motherboard either that have anything to do with SATA (thought maybe there would be something.) I have an older motherboard, an Asus P4S8X with a SiS 648 chipset. The drive is a 7200.7 Seagate 120GB (probably SATA 150) Any suggestions? lolkthx

Also, I'm running Windows XP.

blarghwastaken
another newbie
WoW :rolleyes:
Welcome to Techspot :wave:
post your system specs;)
download Belarc advisor it free will tell you what chipsets you have witch will lead to correct drivers for them

Take the SATA connections out of RAID mode in the bios. Look through the bios and see if there is any place to emulate IDE with the sata ports.

It may work as soon as you get the thing out of RAID mode, you only have 1 sata drive, so you won't be using RAID.

Also if you haven't used the drive before (or anyone else) it will have all unpartitioned space, so it won't show up in My Computer until you get partitions set up. Normally Windows sees this and asks you what you want to do, but for some reason I don't think that always happens, so you may have to check in Disk Management.

Pretty sure I'm not trying to run any kind of a RAID configuration, so i'm not sure how i'd take it out of that. I've already been everywhere through my BIOS and there is nothing to do with SATA in there, but I'll do some more searching. The drive already has windows installed on it, it was someone else's. And like I said before, it doesn't even show up in Disk Management. I've downloaded some tools from Seagate. I'll run them for the hell of it. Maybe the drive is just faulty...? : (

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back