IDE to SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilloz

Would there be any noticeable difference in converting from an IDE hard drive to a SATA HD using an IDE to SATA controller PCI card? Is the cost worth difference in performance?

IDE is 133mb/s, SATA is 150mb/s and SATAII is 300mb/s.

So going from IDE to SATA wouldn't be much of a performance increase, unless you do it in conjunction with setting up a raid array (which will increase your performance even further).

Yeah a Raid0 array would give you quite a big performance hit.And a Raid with a couple of Raptor drives would be the dogs Bollox....finances allowing,that is.

the bottle neck is the pci control bus speeds
If you only use for like gaming not worth the money
check the MB see what speed the pci bus is

how does raid speed performance?

help me learn something new:
i thought the benefit to RAID was having a more stable system. Does it make things go faster? How?

About the performance increase stats. They arent wrong, but remember you're still going to an IDE drive which would slow down the speeds.

And for raid. There are different set ups for raid. RAID 1 and 5 are both taking multiple hard drives (2 hdds for RAID 1 and 3 hdds for RAID 5) and combine them into one larger virtual drive. So when you install a game it will store the data on both or all three drives. So if you have 2 80gb RAIDed hdds your system would say (check "My Computer") that it is 1 160gb hdd.

Raid 0 is storing the same data on two drives. This allows
A: your data to be securely backed up
B: faster access times (loads BF2 alot faster)
C: Saves money from having to buy a 10,000 RPM drive to get quick access times

Then there is RAID 0+1 (my favorite) it takes 2 HDDs and makes them into one virtual drive but you store your data across 2 sets (2 hdds in a set) of drives. This allows
A: backed up data
B: faster access times
C: all your data stored on one virtual drive
D: lots of uninterrupted space.

If you still didnt understand this see this RAID Watercoolers

I recommend that you use the same HDD's (whether it be 2, 3 or 4). If you didnt this could confuse your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back