Identify Computers On Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

domyue

Hi guys, can you please tell me if there is a simple program out there that allows me to find all (LAN and WLAN) connections to my network?? As in if there are computers connecting wirelessly to my network, can I download a program that allows me to see who they are.
Even a program that tells me how many computers are connected is good enough.
Thanks for your help!!
DY

Your router or access point should have a feature that lists all wireless/DHCP clients.

You should secure your network so random people can't connect to it.

what about a program that can do this??
Say I'm on a laptop that is wirelessly connected to the network. Can I get a program on the laptop that tells me info on all the computers on the network??

No. Such a program would have to be linked to a crystal ball. There is no way to see all the machines on your network.

You can get wireless snooping software and see all the wireless traffic and identify the wireless stations (you need a good wifi card for that). You can also watch the wired network for such silly things like SMB broadcasts to identify Windows machines. You cannot detect someone who does not want to be seen on the wired network.

What is the best wireless card (that is usb connection)??
Also what is the best wireless snooping program that you speak of??

ONE more question :giddy: What are SMB broadcasts and is it easy to see someone on the network. If it's complicated stuff, you don't have to answer. :haha:

Thanks so much nodsu!!

By "good" wireless card I meant something that supports promiscuous mode (capture packets that are not addressed to you). Any specific program/card.. You will have to ask someone else. Not really my expertise snooping after other people.

SMB broadcasts are messages sent by Windows computers to find other computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back